Sanyo 4912 Discontinued. What Now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redweasel

Reaction score
None of the Best Buy stores around here carry this anymore and to get it shipped cost about $100.00 more. I don't know if I should bite the bullet and pay for shipping or look into alternatives. I have everything I need except for the fridge.

Anyone know of a reasonable alternative to the 4912?

Please help! I'm in a state of panic.

I just bought the demo model at Fry's yesterday. It is sitting here next to me right now chilling two cornies. I will say this, for me, I think I would rather have something bigger like a top loading freezer. I can fit two cornies in the 4912, but nothing else (aside from some pint glasses in the door. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to have it, but I wouldn't fear that there are no alternatives out there. I saw something similar at OSH (Orchard Supply) after I bought it yesterday for $179, I think it was a whirlpool <edit>it was probably a Kenmore as they are a Sears reseller</edit>. Might want to check out their site for specs. It appeared not to have a freezer in it and looked relatively deep.

FWIW, I saw a top loading freezer today on Craigslist and you can get a controller for 45-60 that will make setting the temp a snap...seems like a good alternative, be it a wider one.

Do a keezer conversion. Variety is the spice of life, and two kegs is just not enough. And if you're switching to kegs, you probably don't want to do bottles again, too, just for variety...

+1 to chest freezer. I have a Haier kegerator that was a present. I like it, but wish I had a chest freezer. SWMBO wants style. You can also cross reference the fridge with a service and parts company. I doubt Sanyo makes the fridge. Haier and LG both make a good portion of the white goods out there.

Should have been more specific, sorry. The problem with a keezer is the fact that I've already invested money in a two tap tower and I am limited on space. I just don't see the tower working with a freezer.

Should have been more specific, sorry. The problem with a keezer is the fact that I've already invested money in a two tap tower and I am limited on space. I just don't see the tower working with a freezer.

I have a friend who just put a two tap tower on a 5 cu. ft. freezer and it works great.

Wow, im glad I got mine a couple weeks ago before it was too late.

The 4912 is good for me because I have it on the main floor of my house..
If I had to put it in the basement, I'd have done a keezer.

We're pondering buying a new house now and im wondering if I would have been better off buying a freezer.

I have a friend who just put a two tap tower on a 5 cu. ft. freezer and it works great.

The only problem with a tower on a keezer is clearance when you open the lid, if you have it up against a wall. However, this would be easily solved with a small hinge and clasp, so you could fold the tower down before opening the lid.

I just completed my Whirlpool 8.9 cf freezer with a 2 tower tap and I love it...i do have to pull it away from the wall to open the lid but only when i need to keep the lid open...most of the adjusting of co2 reg and moving lines from one keg the the other doesn't require moving the freezer...i am thinking about adding a second 2 tap tower...2 taps are just not going to cut it...i definitely recommend the keezer over the small college dorm fridge.

DSC_0002-1.jpg

Well, for anyone having the same problem as me. Best Buy has replaced the Sanyo model for a 5 cu ft Oster all refrigerator that measures out to about the same specs for the same price. Looks almost identicle as the 4912.

no biggie.. i got myself a 4910 for my keggeratot and its been discontinued for years. Sanyo will have a 4913 soon.

Seems like you could order it online and have it shipped to your store. I did it this way just to get out of having to pay state tax, or the online price was cheaper; I don't recall. Since they still advertise them online, try to order it into your store.

ive never heard of bb doing ship to store. they do have pick up in store but not ship to store, the difference is that pick up in store requires the store to have stock

I just bought the floor model at Best Buy today for $169.00. I looked at the Oster model too and the only thing that concerned me about that one was the temperature control. It looked like it was mounted a lot lower than the 4912 and when I measured it, there was only about 16" before the temperature control got in the way.

Some day, I'll get a keezer too, but SWMBO was none too happy about the 4912...I need to give the ice a little time to thicken up again!

I got the floor model for $125 after coupon. Guess the keezer is getting pushed out a while. Next weekend is going to be a busy one now.

Well, for anyone having the same problem as me. Best Buy has replaced the Sanyo model for a 5 cu ft Oster all refrigerator that measures out to about the same specs for the same price. Looks almost identicle as the 4912.

I checked this one out at my BB last night. It does appear to be nearly identical to the 4912.

Has anyone actually converted one of these? I am wondering about the refrigerant line placement. I think BB would look at me weird if I walked in with Corn Starch and Rubbing Alcohol and starting painting their display model to find out where the line runs. ;)

Patience IS a virtue. Got mine this week off Craigslist for $50. Had one little dent I covered with a bottle opener.

Depends on where the coolant lines run. You would probably be better off with the Oster from BB since it has been done before with good results. I know there are some wine coolers that look pretty sharp that will work also.

Back