Santee Super Hop IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdjtexas

Reaction score
I just finished up my Homebrew Thursday with my rendition of nb's Deadringer IPA. I steeped the grains for 30 instead of 20 and I pitched San Diego super yeast vs the wyeast recommended by nb. I hope it turns out well. Just one question. Will the yeast make a huge difference? My og was dead on 1.064 maybe even a bit more 1.065ish

Yes. The yeast variety will give the beer some pretty distinct charactersistics. I am not familiar with the "San diego super yeast" but each variety will work best a certain temperatures, create various levels of esters which we detect as flavor, and different yeast strains will tend to reach different levels of attenuation. Attenation will affect how much residual sugars the yeast will leave behind when the become dormant. Also, some yeast will leave the beer with better or worse clarity. Wyeast is very predictable and good quality. If you plan to brew frequently, find a yeast that works for several of your favorite recipes and start culturing your own yeast to save on money. I mostly use the Wyeast American ale II for my IPA and APA brewing. I also use it in certian porters.

Lastly, whichever yeast you use, make sure it is healthy. Yeast that has been dormant for a long time will have suffered a lot of attrition and the yeast that does survive will be slow to energize. Learning to make a yeast starter and using yeast that you know is active and healthy is a good piece of mind.

Thanks for the input! I value the info on this forum. As for the yeast... It's white labs new yeast this year. It's rumored to ferment 5gal in as little as 3 days complete

most ale yeasts should do that. just cuz its reached fg doesnt mean its done tho

Good call. I find that it will take a few extra days for the beer to clarify after fermentation is done. I play the safe side and let most of my beers go about 21 days total before bottling.

Anyone else? How long from brew to bottle...and drink. I try one beer after 7 days in bottle, then one at 10 and one at 14. When the beer is better than what I can buy, my brain starts wanting it badly enough to drink it. Most beers take the 14 days.

santee, huh? That's right up the 52 (i'm in clairemont), perhaps we will be trading some homebrew soon :D

But yes, even though the yeast may reach FG in a few days, you'll want to leave it much longer. Did you make a starter?

Most definitely be up for some trades man. I'm right on the santee lakes off the 52. I plan to leave this ipa in primary for 2 weeks or actually 18 days before I put it into secondary and dry hop for another 2 weeks. As for my other batch it should be in bottles and ready to drink mid to late jan. just did something bad though... Bought a freezer that I plan to start converting after I get back from vacation

Back