Santa Rosa, CA Breweries / Pubs / Stores?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campbellmike

Reaction score
I'm headed to Santa Rosa on Friday and would like to know if there are any extraordinary places to see and brews to try. I have three full free days and I'm based at a hotel in Santa Rosa.

I have the usuals on my list, Russian River, Lagunitas, and Bear Republic.

Also, any bottles that are currently available to take home. I love all the Lagunitas brews and double IPAs are at the top of my wish list. Russian River is not available where I live and we have limited Bear Republic distribution.

Thanks for your input.

I posted this in the beginner's forum earlier today and received one recommendation. I've searched the internet and found dozen's of interesting places with some impressive beer reviews. I had hoped to get some real time feedback from real people. I'll just go with some of the ones I found and ask locals when I get there.

I was just there two months ago. From a recommendation on here, I went to Beercraft in Rohnert Park. Excellent bottle shop!

3rd Street Ale works in SR. is a fun spot. Good brews and food. Highly recommended. And yes, it is on 3rd Street. I wouldn't call SR a craft brew desert. Hopefully he was being sarcastic.

If you have care to drive an hour hit up Anderson Valley Brewery. The country side is absolutely beautiful this time of year, you might just say f it and keep going to North Coast. Harvest season, whoot whoot!

Give yourself at least 2 visits to Russian River. I was in the area recently and visited RR. I should have made time for two visits. One for the left side of the tap list and one for the right.

So, I know you're going to go to Russian River and pick up a case of Pliny. And you should do that. Pliny is well regarded and you should get a bunch of it just for the Instagram.

But, there's something I wish I had done last time I was at Russian River, which I didn't because I was all about IPAs at the time. I still love IPAs, but I had never had a Russian River sour at that point and I was actually kind of pissed off about the sours because at the time they were causing Pliny production to be sacrificed and I couldn't understand why they were giving all their fermenter space to these "silly fruit beers."

Well, I came around, and what I'm telling you is to pick up AT LEAST ONE Supplication and Consecration while you're there. Actually, get at least 3 of each. Not only because you can trade them if you decide to, but because if you taste these beers you'll understand what the big fuss is about sour beers. It doesn't always sink in right away (just like IPAs seem like bitter swill on the first one) and that's why you should get a few of each. To this day, I still haven't had a chance to try Supplication, but Consecration is on my top 5.

Just be prepared that Russian River and Lagunitas do get crowded especially on the weekends so you will have a wait. Haven't been to Bear Republic (Which is actually in Healdsburg) on a weekend so I can't comment on that.
As for other places, 3rd street aleworks is good. Try their cask ales.
Sprenger's tap house is pretty good, across the street from the santa rosa mall.
There is a few good bottle shops:
-Beer Craft in Rohnert Park
-Bottle Barn. They usually have Russian River beers. However I went today and they only have bottles of Damnation.
-Rincon Valley tap room and bottle shop. They just opened this year and I have only been a few times but they have a good selection.

If your looking for moonlight beers there is a resturant called Flavor Bistro that always has moonlight beers on tap and the food is pretty good too. I can never get enough of Death & Taxes. Love love that beer.
There is also a cool English pub downtown called The toad in the hole and they also have a few moonlight beers on tap.

Just be prepared that Russian River and Lagunitas do get crowded especially on the weekends so you will have a wait. Haven't been to Bear Republic (Which is actually in Healdsburg) on a weekend so I can't comment on that.
As for other places, 3rd street aleworks is good. Try their cask ales.
Sprenger's tap house is pretty good, across the street from the santa rosa mall.
There is a few good bottle shops:
-Beer Craft in Rohnert Park
-Bottle Barn. They usually have Russian River beers. However I went today and they only have bottles of Damnation.
-Rincon Valley tap room and bottle shop. They just opened this year and I have only been a few times but they have a good selection.

If your looking for moonlight beers there is a resturant called Flavor Bistro that always has moonlight beers on tap and the food is pretty good too. I can never get enough of Death & Taxes. Love love that beer.
There is also a cool English pub downtown called The toad in the hole and they also have a few moonlight beers on tap.

Definitely don't do anything on this list. All these places suck....major suckage.

Back