Sanke kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idrum6969

Reaction score
How many of you brewers are using sanke kegs for your homebrew? I've been using pin lock kegs for a number of years to keg my beer. I have a good friend of mine who owns a restaurant and he is all about local breweries and local sourced ingredients. He approached me at my wedding last weekend about making some beers for his restaurant after trying a couple I made for my wedding reception. I know he has a commercial kegerator with sanke connections. I've done a little bit of research and know that I can convert one of his sanke taps to use a pin lock keg. And then revert back when needed. But.. I was considering using a sanke to avoid conversion. So is it possible to use these to force carbonate or even with priming sugar. I'm just curious. Thanks in advance.

I got tired of leaky corneys so I switched to Sankes a while back.

I've done both force carbing and priming sugar with no problem. Just remember that just like any keg, you need to reduce the amount of priming sugar you use to avoid over carbing.

Edit: I'll leave it to others to cover all the issues related to selling Homebrew at a restaurant, but short version: you can't.

Depending on your state, county and city, there may be some legal work-arounds to sell your beer. Definitely consult a lawyer as laws vary and loop-holes are a fine line. You may have to brew or or keg on their premises or have them claim its their house brand. May be doable.

I got tired of leaky corneys so I switched to Sankes a while back.

I've done both force carbing and priming sugar with no problem. Just remember that just like any keg, you need to reduce the amount of priming sugar you use to avoid over carbing.

Edit: I'll leave it to others to cover all the issues related to selling Homebrew at a restaurant, but short version: you can't.
Let's say I would brew on premise. But, this is in theory. I have a lot of research to do before I'd even consider it. I have no plans to break any laws. If it's possible I'm game. But I have to contact our Alcohol Commission to find out the legality. Worst they can say is no.

Good luck with that stuff, hopefully you'll be able to make it through all the hoops.

On the sanke part of the post, you can remove the spear for cleaning or filling using a screwdriver to remove the ring. Just make sure to vent it first.

If you are going to transfer beer in under pressure with co2, remember to remove the check valve from your coupler. I like to keep one around with the valve removed for that purpose.

Good luck.

And its doable to do sanke to corny or corny to sankey transfer. Many threads about this for those who use kegs to ferment. Helps to have a tare weight of your empty keg, but not required. Pressurize your empty and purge of O2. Connect your two beer-out lines. Slowly purge pressure of the receiving vessel. May need to occasionally add co2 to the original keg to maintain positive pressure. I also try amd have the receiving keg lower than the original keg to add a touch of gravity to assist with the transfer.

I love my sanke kegs. The tall 1/4 bbls make 6-7 gallon batches a breeze. Not bad to clean. Almost never leak.

Latest posts

Back