Sanke Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Argie86

Reaction score
Hi everyone, some days ago I bought my first keg, a 5gal sanke and I have some doubts about using it.
The keg is new and come presurized, Do I need to clean it or is ready to use? What kind of products
I need to clean it? hot water and Oxi is good enough?

In order to fill the keg from the conector, I need to remove that little ball in it (Photo below)
once the keg is filled should I put the ball again? What does that ball do?

Also, the vendor recommend me to carbonate from the top, and once is carbonated move the gas line to the side
Is that ok?

And finally I have a 5lbs CO2 tank, how long it will last aprox?

Sorry for that many questions and thanks in advance!!

IMG_20170514_143652813.jpg

Dont know much about sanke kegs. But the tank should last awhile. Unless you get a leak.

Firstly to clean and sanitize you have to remove the spear, or modify the coupler. Before doing either, engage the coupler into the dispense position. Then release all the pressure.

There is an excellent 45 second you tube video showing how to disassemble the Sankes. The quick version is, take off the coupler (if "D" style should just twist off. Then remove the retaining ring by slipping a small flat-bladed screwdriver into one of the two coupler slots and pop the ring out. After that the spear just comes out.

You can avoid taking the spear out by modifying the coupler to run cleaning solution in and out, but if you don't remove the spear you can't visually inspect the keg.

I've been kegging with sankes as well and with a 5lb tank. Regarding cleaning and how to do it... I would def recommend taking the spear out exactly the way shoengine stated above and I use PBW to clean them.

As for the other stuff... I fill it and then put the spear in and the retaining ring and then connect it to my c02 tank in the fridge at serving pressure for 10-14 days. My tank will usually last me about 3 homebrews... and that's for carbing the homebrew and then serving as well.

My tank will usually last me about 3 homebrews... and that's for carbing the homebrew and then serving as well.
Something is leaking if you only get 3 brews out of a 5# tank.
My ten gallon tank lasts for endless kegs. Force carbing and serving.

just take out the spear and rinse with water. Every 5 kegs or so give it a oxyclean rinse for good measure. I have no Idea what the guy means by moving the gas line to the side. Gas lines make no difference where they are...on the floor on the ceiling and anywhere in between makes no difference...he doesn't know what hes talking about.

Stick to sankes they're way better than corneys

Well I'm at number 3 so far and I thought the last time I checked, my regulator was saying it was getting low but yea they last awhile!

Thanks for your answers, I have another doubt, what about dry hopping? Can I just zip tie the dry hop bag into the spear? or there is another way? :confused:

Having the hops integrated into the spear wouldn't really allow for any fluid migration in-and out of the hops bag. You can't tie anything to the outside of the spear because it would fall off when going into or out of the keg. You should ferment it in another vessel and dry hop accordingly, then transfer into the keg. Or get a corny as the wider opening allows for expanded fermenting options.

Latest posts

Back