Sanity check on brewing salts by volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spivey24

Reaction score
my scale broke and I would like to brew today, so I am trying to work out the brewing salts by volume. I have in my notes, for a fairly high IBU clear ipa, use 1 tablespoon gypsum (powdery), and 1/3 teaspoon CaCl (Granular), and 1ml lactic acid for all RO water. I am not too concerned with exact amounts/levels, but looking for a sanity check on this to see if this about right.

I think that would put you at about 50 Cl and 375 SO4. Seems like an extreme ratio but might be good in bitter IPA. Ph will probably be in range (low end) but I am guessing at the malt bill.

I think that would put you at about 50 Cl and 375 SO4. Seems like an extreme ratio but might be good in bitter IPA. Ph will probably be in range (low end) but I am guessing at the malt bill.

Thanks, that’s a bit high on the sulphate so will lower the gypsum to 2 teaspoons. 1 Tbsp did seem a bit much.

my scale broke and I would like to brew today, so I am trying to work out the brewing salts by volume. I have in my notes, for a fairly high IBU clear ipa, use 1 tablespoon gypsum (powdery), and 1/3 teaspoon CaCl (Granular), and 1ml lactic acid for all RO water. I am not too concerned with exact amounts/levels, but looking for a sanity check on this to see if this about right.

I just weighed a tablespoon of gypsum. It was about 12 grams.

My Calcium Chloride is liquid so I can't help with that one. Dry is going to vary a lot anyway because of all the water it absorbs from the air.

Back