Sanitizing with Well water...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkyDung

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello... My apologies if this a dumb question but to anyone who has a well for means of water... is there any reason why I can't sanitize my equipment without having to filter the water straight from well?

As for the water quality, i'm not too sure of how hard it is, but the water has an obvious sulfur stench. I definitely filter it for drinking but was just wondering if this could have an adverse effect for sanitizing and sterilzation...

thanks for the help, FunkyDung

Well water is NOT sterile. If you add sanitizer to it - you've killed off 99% of any bacteria or other critters.

If your water stinks - it's probably not good to use it "as is" for brewing. There's probably 4 or 5 different levels of "filters" you can use. I'd be thinking about using a small micron filter & reverse osmosis if my water smelled like sulfur.

You will also find that Starsan lasts longer & is more effective if you mix it using distilled water.

I'll be using OxiClean then StarSan to sanitize my equipment. Hopefully, this shouldn;t be a problem.

I know it's definitely not good for brewing. I just picked up a carbon filter today to see if that remedies the stinky sulfur situation.

Thanks XXguy.

I also have well water.

I've used bottled water to mix my star san because it's supposed to last longer that way, but I've also mixed it with my well water, and it lasts just as long. I bought some PH paper so i could test it to be sure it's still acidic after a long while of sitting, and it always is.

I've also used oxiclean with the well water to clean and de-lable bottles with no problem.

Having said that, I do think I'd be a bit more cautious if my water smelled straight up sulfuric (which mine doesn't).

In a separate thread I've been discussing the possible effects well water could have on my beer, and I've finally gotten to a point where I decided to get my water tested. Well water should be tested regularly for bacteria anyway, but I'm also doing a mineral test to see just what's in there, and if it will cause off flavors in my beer, etc.

I'm using this place, if you're interested in testing your water: https://producers.wardlab.com/ If you look under "submit a sample," and then "water," they even have a specific kit for homebrewers, which is cool.

:mug:

Back