Sanitizing Erlenmeyer with dry heat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smellysell

Reaction score
I just stepped up to an Erlenmeyer and stirplate. I no-chill, so I'm wondering if I can just put the flask with tinfoil cover in the oven to sanitize and then pour the RWS in there, let cool, and pitch yeast?

If so, what temp should I use in the oven?

Assuming your erlenmeyer flask is borosilicate, just boil your wort in the flask. Wet heat is generally more effective than dry heat.

That said, palmer's how to brew has a chart in the appendix of dry heat times and temps for sterilization.

I'd just use starsan. If you clean it well, you will be fine. Or you could pull off your RWS and boil it for a few minutes in the flask. A few extra minutes of boiling isn't going to hurt it.

I'd just use starsan. If you clean it well, you will be fine. Or you could pull off your RWS and boil it for a few minutes in the flask. A few extra minutes of boiling isn't going to hurt it.

I was planning on just boiling it in the flask, but I was doing a test run today with some wort that I had canned and even with about 1/2 a liter in there I still had a volcano going out the top. I don't have a LHBS so buying some fermcap isn't an option until I order some other stuff and will include that in the order.

Actually, in the pharma industry, dry heat is used to depyrogenate laboratory glassware. But we are not trying to depyrogenate. I think a good rinse and starsan or iodophor will do the trick.

ah, I see. Boiling in a flask sucks without fermcap. Maybe just boil water in it for 10 minutes. I kind of missed the oven part. I thought you were going to stick it right on the burner. I know some people sterilize bottles in the oven, so its not a crazy idea. Just make sure you let it cool down in the oven.

Back