Sanitizing correctly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven4est

Reaction score
My first beer had an offtaste as if i didnt sanitize properly, which all i used was a cleaner to wash my eqiptment, not a sanitizer.

Now i have starsan and i think all will turn out well, however ive read to sanitize everything that is going to touch the wort.

Does that mean i sanitize the grain bags?
My hands? since im touching eqiptment that will touch the wort?

Where should i lay my eqiptment when not in use? i use a towel over top my counter but is that okay?

My first beer had an offtaste as if i didnt sanitize properly, which all i used was a cleaner to wash my eqiptment, not a sanitizer.

Now i have starsan and i think all will turn out well, however ive read to sanitize everything that is going to touch the wort.

Does that mean i sanitize the grain bags?
My hands? since im touching eqiptment that will touch the wort?

Where should i lay my eqiptment when not in use? i use a towel over top my counter but is that okay?

Sanitize everything that touches the wort post boil, so not the grain bag.

I wouldn't recommend sanitizing your hands as it will not be good for your skin (or the sanitizing solution for that matter) but keep them clean. If you want, wear disposable latex gloves and sanitize those. I do that sometimes, but not on brew day.

If something is wet with starsan, laying it on any clean hard surface is fine, I would not use a towel. If I want to sanitize something in advance I spray star-san on a piece of aluminum foil, sanitize the item, and wrap it up in the foil. Also if you have something (like an autosiphon or racking cane and hose) that needs to be assembled, sanitize the pieces and assemble the item wet with sanitizer.

I don't usually sanitize anything that will come in contact with the boiling wort, only the cooled wort (below 140 degrees) . . . and I am insane about that. The boiling of the wort will kill any nasties that might be present.

I make a big solution of StarSan and this will keep for a long time. I usually poor about a half gallon of this into a glass bowl and everything that is small enough goes in there (airlock, thermometer, turkey baster, strainer, etc.)

I sanitize my primary and lid as my wort is cooling and then put the lid on loosely and leave the starsan in there until right before I strain my wort into the bucket. I have been lucky as I have not had any infections yet, but I think this is due to the amount of work I put into sanitizing every brew session.

Back