Sanitizing bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velzyauburn

Reaction score
Hi. New brewer here.
I hear star san is no rise and just need some reassurance.

I can sanitize bottles and fill with beer without completely clearing out residue? It won't effect flavor?

Yea, just sanitize and fill. I use it all the time and never had an issue. Don't fear the foam is what they say and make sure it has at least 2 minutes contact.

Absolutely. Star San foams and there will likely be some foam in the bottles but don't worry about it. I've used Iodophor also which is no rinse and it doesn't foam up at all. So if the foam scares you then that's an option. Both are no rinse though.

starsan and a bottle tree is perfect.

If you don't have a bottle tree, use the dishwasher rack!

I just put bottles in dishwasher on sanitize with no soap.

I would exercise caution with this process. You are assuming the heat alone of the sanitize cycle will adequately do the job as it is very difficult for any liquid to actually get up into the bottle. If you ever experience a bottle infection this is the first part of your process I would consider changing:)

I picked up a vinator & 45 bottle tree at my LHBS at least a year ago for using with starsan to sanitize a batch of bottles quickly. It shaved off at least a half hour from total bottling time.
The dilution rate comes down to using the square measuring cube with the riser on one side of the bottle. It's incremented in 1oz measurements. Take the cap off that side,& squeeze the bottle so that it fills 3/4's of the way up to the 1oz mark in 1 gallon of distilled water. Cap the jug & invert a few times to mix. That's all there is to it. I get 1 gallon jugs of distilled water for as little as 79c at the store.

All I do is have some star san mixed up, all my bottles on the counter (clean but not sanitized). The bottles move from the counter, to the star san in batches of however many i can get to submerge sideways. I use my sink so usually 6-8. Then out of that I pick them up, dump the star san out back into the sink, fill, cap, set to the side and repeat. It goes really fast if you have a friend as one of you can fill while the other sets bottles down for him and then caps the ones he fills.

All I do is have some star san mixed up, all my bottles on the counter (clean but not sanitized). The bottles move from the counter, to the star san in batches of however many i can get to submerge sideways. I use my sink so usually 6-8. Then out of that I pick them up, dump the star san out back into the sink, fill, cap, set to the side and repeat. It goes really fast if you have a friend as one of you can fill while the other sets bottles down for him and then caps the ones he fills.

Same here.

Back