Sanitizing Bottles With Dishwasher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lasvegasrealtor

Reaction score
Is there any known issues for using a dishwashers high heat to wash and sanitize beer bottles? Obviously we would run it quite a few times empty to get any soap washed out of the machine before we put the bottles in. If we left the bottles in the dishwasher rack just before bottling, that should work right?

Thanks from the Newbie.

I don't think multiple rinse cycles are necessary. I have run bottles through the dishwasher before. I didn't run any rinses. I just ran a load of bottles with no soap with heated dry. You don't have the reservoir in the door filled with the crystal clear drying solution do you? I am sure that would wreck head retention and probably flavor too.

I wouldn't use a washer machine you need to sanitize them ... Depending on how dirty they are the small opening may not allow enough soap in the bottle. plus detergents will ruin head retention ... Use 22 oz bottles wash with warm water use PBW 1 tp per gallon , rinse with same temp water.. then sanitize with star- san... At least for 1 hr no rinse ...

as long as your bottles are clean going in there is no problems using a dishwasher for sanitizing. also if you set up your bottling bucket and wand on the counter over the machine it makes for easy cleanup. you just open the door and start filling, any overflows are caught on the open door and when your finished you just close the door and run a quick rinse cycle on it.

again no detergents just run through on high heat and hot dry

just fyi ive been doing my beers like this for over 3yrs with only one infection and it was a dirty bottle that i missed.

I wonder how much (if any) water gets into the small openings in the bottles.

I did the dishwasher thing for a few batches and then switched to a vinator filled with starsan. I had a few cons about the dishwasher that caused me to switch:

1. I couldn't bottle right away...had to wait however long for the cycle and even then the glasses were hot for some time afterward
2. I wasn't confident the dishwasher was actually cleaning/sanitizing the bottles...mine doesn't have a sanitize function.
3. I felt it was a waste of electricity to run the dishwasher for this purpose
4. If there was anything in the dishwasher, I would have to put it in the sink or somewhere else and make a mess.

To each his own, but I love the vinator and starsan for sanitizing. I also use a bottle tree.

I use my dishwasher as well. But it's not the only thing I use to clean/sanitize my bottles. It's probably overkill but I rinse mine out with a high pressure bottle rinser then put them in the dishwasher. Run them through a high temp, heat dry cycle. I usually do this the night before I bottle. On bottling day I set my bottling bucket on the counter above the dishwasher and, using my vinator, rinse out 12 bottles with star-san, fill, cap and repeat.

Before using the dishwasher to sanitize beer bottles, you must make certain that the bottles are CLEAN. I run my bottles through the entire dishwasher "normal wash" cycle, with high-temp wash and high-temp dry. I have never...I repeat NEVER...had a clean bottle sanitized in the dishwasher cause me any problems whatsoever. And when use the dishwasher for my bottles, I do the following...

#1: NO detergent...absolutely NONE...during the cycle;
#2: NO rinsing agent...absolutely NONE...during the cycle;
#3: Wait a bit after the cycle is done to allow the bottles to cool a bit.

Hope this helps.

glenn514:mug:

BigTerp said:
I use my dishwasher as well. But it's not the only thing I use to clean/sanitize my bottles. It's probably overkill but I rinse mine out with a high pressure bottle rinser then put them in the dishwasher. Run them through a high temp, heat dry cycle. I usually do this the night before I bottle. On bottling day I set my bottling bucket on the counter above the dishwasher and, using my vinator, rinse out 12 bottles with star-san, fill, cap and repeat.

Exactly what I do. Works fantastically well.

I picked up a free dishwasher of CL for my brewery. Mounted counter high. Once the bottles are clean, the dishwashers does a great job sanitizing. I bottle right on the dishwsher door..... easy cleanup

When I started brewing I did all bottles (12 & 22) in my dishwasher with oxiclean only-no sanitizer at all. Probably had one or two bad bottles. Bottling is bad enough without making it more complicated.

Hell yeah use the dishwasher.

I will reiterate that the bottles must be clean BEFORE they are sanitized in the dishwasher. My method would not be approved of by all, but it works for me:

1. Newly acquired bottle: cleaned & delabeled in PBW, rinsed.

2. sanitized in dishwasher, no soap, no drying agent.

3. Bottle beer.

4. Bottles rinsed well immediately after pouring beer.

5. Subsequent bottlings, bottle given Star San treatment with vinator to get out any dust or debris, then run through dishwasher per #2.

6. Repeat.

uuuuuuh rico if u using vinator with star san why do u use the dishwasher? that alone sanitises the bottles.

I used to rinse/clean the bottles before putting in the dishwasher to sanitise. the object is to have them clean before they hit the dishwasher. not much gets up into the bottles water spray wise. It is the extra hot drying cycle that sanitizes them. sanitization by heat just as if you put them in the oven(which i could never convince swmbo to let happen).

that whole process just took to much time so now i use a vinator with starsan, and a drying rack.

I rinse my bottles out and run them through the dishwasher and store them upside down.

When I am ready to bottle, I put the already cleaned bottles back in the dishwasher with a tablespoon of the no rinse sanitizer powder.

Then I open up the dishwasher and bottle right there, if any spills, it doesn't make a mess on the floor.

W

I think that uing the dishwasher is a bad idea. I'm not saying that it dosen't work for those of you that do it but there is all kinds of nasty in a dishwasher. If you starsan or idophor other things like fermenters and bottling buckets then why bother with the dishwasher at all

What about a minute in the micro wave to kill any yeast or other bacteria. I sanitized the bottles and then zap them in the micro for 1 minute. Maybe I am wasting my time.

I think that uing the dishwasher is a bad idea. I'm not saying that it dosen't work for those of you that do it but there is all kinds of nasty in a dishwasher. If you starsan or idophor other things like fermenters and bottling buckets then why bother with the dishwasher at all
I don't know what's in your dishwasher, but when my dishwasher finishes a cycle, the stainless steel interior is spotless. There's nothing in there. I also run the sanitize cycle on most normal loads, so nothing gets a chance to grow.

Here's my procedure:
-Bottles are rinsed clean several times immediately after pouring beer, then stored until bottling day
-Last regular load before bottles gets run with PBW instead of regular detergent, and a sanitize cycle
-Clean bottles are loaded in the dishwasher, then run with no soap of any kind, with the sanitize cycle
-I bottle over the dishwasher, with the door open. It catches drips, and I grab bottles as I go

I like this system. It allows me to batch sanitize, it helps contain drips, and I'm confident that the steam is sanitizing the bottles.

It should be noted that I do not expect or care if any water goes up into the bottle. It doesn't matter. It's the steam doing the work.

Did it for years, and it works fine. Here are some random thoughts:
  • Water doesn't get inside. Steam might, but not sure.
  • I always had rinsing agent in my washer and it was NEVER a problem. In my opinion this is just repeated myth.
  • The dishwasher should have a NSF sticker on it indicating that it does reach sanitizing temperatures. If it does not have this, or a "SANI-RINSE" type cycle, then you'll want to measure the temps.
  • After 2+ years of using the dishwasher, in an attempt to completely and forever stay out of the kitchen, I bought a vinator and bottle tree; in my opinion, vinator is easier and faster, and I sanitize my caps in the vinator as well.

Here are some pics, because we do love them don't we:

NSF Sticker on my DW (note the Sani-Rinse text)
Dishwasher_NSF_Statement.JPG

My old setup
P5120002.JPG

Temp vs. Time in my DW (measured with a logging thermometer, thermocouple taped to outside of bottle)
Dishwasher_Sani-Rinse.bmp

Pastuerization Curve. Time vs. Temp to kill all bacteria
Beer_Pasteurization_Curve.jpg

Latest posts

Back