sanitizing bottle caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmoney

Reaction score
Hi, I am relatively new to brewing but had a question that I could not find the answer to on a search of this forum. not asking whether or not to sanitize the caps, but if anyone had noticed any problem with using onestep to do so. a run-down of my problem:

brewed an irish red, and bottled in regular 12 oz bottles and also a trio of 750 ml growlers (with the swing top). all bottles very clean and sanitized in the sani-wash of a dishwasher. primed with corn sugar.

sanitized the caps in onestep and shook off the excess solution but did not rinse off. also did not contact my fingers or anything else. bottled everything with no issues.

2-3 weeks later every single bottle (tried 12 so far) with an "off-odor" and a slight "off" taste; I can only describe it as 'musty' but maybe slightly fruity (but not in a good way). all the growlers (which were not exposed to onestep) were excellent and without this odor.

has anyone else had any such problem? as I said I am relatively new to this, but given that onestep works by making peroxide (oxygen radicals) is there any theoretical risk of oxidizing the beer? if it weren't such an obvious difference between bottles and growlers I would suspect something in the beer itself, but as I said the growlers were just fine. I am pretty sure I mixed up the onestep at the exact recommended ratio.

would appreciate any comments.

Hmm, interesting. It's possible you could have something going on with oxidation, since one step is an oxidizing agent like oxy clean. Generally, an oxidized beer will have a papery yeasty leathery flavor to them which could be what you're describing.

I tend to use idophor on my equipment, but star san is another sanitizer i'd use without hesitation. Idophor is simple iodine and i've used it in the restaurant industry for years with no issues. It requires a slightly longer soak and it will stain clothing and equipment in over concentrated doses, but it's always worked well for me.

I soak mine in onestep and bottle caps wet and haven't had any problem with off flavors. Could it be a bit early yet for your brew?

one of those two things, how long has it been in the bottle?

appreciate the replies so far. I don't think it's too early for the beer because I tried several growlers and they were very good, without any of that off flavor. had some at 2 weeks, thought it may have needed more time, but again the growler was fine at 2 weeks. tried again at 3 weeks now and still with same flavor. should mention it was in the primary 1 week and secondary 2.5 weeks prior to bottling.

I only used onestep based on a faq on the vendor's website from which I got my supplies. have also contacted them but they weren't aware of a problem. my other batches used boiled caps and I didn't notice any off flavors. the only thing I can think of if people have used onestep with no problems is that I somehow mixed up an extra-potent batch of sanitizer, although that would have been purely by accident.

Good analysis about what the problem could be!

If you want to do a scientific experiment, next time you bottle sanitize a few with onestep and others by boiling (or any other method you want). Mark on the cap or bottle how you did it and when you open them note the results.

Heck, I might just do it myself to see what happens.

It wasn't the caps, something else went wrong. Commercial breweries ( I'm told) don't sanitize their caps and I never sanitize mine. My beers are fine.

Back