Sanitizing a plage chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyPolock

Reaction score
So I just got a plate chiller from keg cowboy and I am trying to figure out what would be the best way to sanitize the plate chiller before I run the wort through it. I don't have a pump so that is out of the question as of now.

Would it be good enough to soak the plate chiller into a bucket of starsan for a good amount of time before using it to sanitize it? After I am done chilling I would clean it out with a few gallons of warm beer brite that I would use to clean out my boil kettle.

So I just got a plate chiller from keg cowboy and I am trying to figure out what would be the best way to sanitize the plate chiller before I run the wort through it. I don't have a pump so that is out of the question as of now.

Would it be good enough to soak the plate chiller into a bucket of starsan for a good amount of time before using it to sanitize it? After I am done chilling I would clean it out with a few gallons of warm beer brite that I would use to clean out my boil kettle.

I've soaked mine in a bucket of starsan with no problems. I just let it fill-up, void the air, repeat. The starsan runs through the plates, on both the hot and cold sides. Easy peasy. I do pump boiling wort through mine too, but I like the added peace of mind on brew day.

+1 on Reelale's post
although when new its nice to flow some cleaner through there one way or another just for the factory nasties. I used a pump but a siphon should suffice.

ruffdeezy - how do you use an autosiphon to move sanitizer through your chiller?

"Before using mine, I pump sanitizer through it with a autosiphon for a few minutes."

Just connect the hose of the autosiphon to one of the barbs on teh chiller and PUMP the autosiphon wand up and down. I assume he's using a bucket with about 2 gallons of starsan mixed in and you can put the chiller in there while you pump so that the output is just dumped back into the mix.

You can also just drain a gallon or two of boiling wort through it and dump that back into the kettle before turning the cooling water on.

Back