Sanitize Coopers new PET bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThaiBrew

Reaction score
I am getting ready to bottle my first batch and I was wondering if i should sanitize the bottles that came with the kit? Coopers says they don't need to be sanitized, but the box was opened for about a day exposing them to the air in my apartment.

If I do have to sanitize, I will will have to use bleach as that is all that is available in my area, which means a lot of rinsing.

If you are going to continue to brew, you are going to have to figure out sanitizing. I don't know what is available to you in Thailand, but you'll need to solve this problem, because you will definitely need to be sanitizing many items - siphon tubes, bottling wands, fermenting vessel, bottles, bottle caps, anything that touches your beer after its been boiled.

I think I've read about someone who uses/used bleach diluted to a point where it is both effective and no-rinse, but I'm not certain about that.

I understand that it is difficult in your area, but the importance of sanitizing can not be overstated. You can not over-sanitize stuff. If there is any doubt whatsoever - and there should be doubt even when the manufacturer says you don't need it - sanitize. If iodine is available you can mix up a no-rinse sanitizer from that, it's preferable to bleach.

Yes,even a week bleach solution needs to be thoroughly rinsed to completely remove it. Toxic stuff. But rinsing negates whatever sanitizing you get,imo. A week solution of Iodine that was suggested might be better. Star-san would be great. Maybe search online for someplace to get brewing supplies?
And,by the way,do not use hot water in the cooper's PET bottles. It'll ruin them.:mug:

If you can get campden you could make a sanitizer out of that can't you? I myself
am bottling this weekend and I plan to do a "one-two punch" method of sanitizing by
first dunking the bottles in a couple gallons water with a teaspoon of bleach then
another dunk in water with one or two campden tablets dissolved in it, thus neutralizing
the bleach and further sanitizing the bottles beyond what the bleach accomplishes.

Yes,even a week bleach solution needs to be thoroughly rinsed to completely remove it. Toxic stuff. But rinsing negates whatever sanitizing you get,imo. A week solution of Iodine that was suggested might be better. Star-san would be great. Maybe search online for someplace to get brewing supplies?
And,by the way,do not use hot water in the cooper's PET bottles. It'll ruin them.:mug:

This has been argued a bit, and may depend on the quality of your water.

I'm curious as to why Cooper's says the bottles don't need to be sanitized. Because they're supposed to stay sanitized from production?

If you boil and cool water, you could rinse with that. Still a PITA though.

Can you get standard iodine, either from a drug store or for dairy/agricutural use? 1 tablespoon/5 gallons of water (where it is a light straw color) is no-rinse.

As to when to sanitize? You should never question when to sanitize. Anything that is going to touch post boiled wort/beer NEEDS TO BE SANITIZED, no exceptions. No matter what Cooper's say.

If you value your time/money/beer, then you sanitize.

A lot of good tips to go on from the responses. I will be making a trip back to the states next month so I will pick up some PBW and star san to use in bottle injectors to make things easy.

Yeah,I thought it rather odd that they'd say that myself. When I bought my cooper's micro brew kit,the bottles were loose in the box,& inside the FV. I sanitized them before use,just like everything else. Better safe than sorry.

I agree, I used bleach to sanitize the FV and everything else touching the brew. I rinsed for about 30 minutes to get rid of the bleach smell, and then a final rinse with bottled water. The only thing is I am a little paranoid about the tap water, sometimes it is not always clear.

That's why I'm thinking of looking to see if Brita makes a water filter that fits on the sink faucet. Could come in handy when the water changes every now & then.

Back