Sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awillis

Reaction score
I just racked to the secondary, then cleaned the primary with just water. Can I leave the primary like this until next use or must I clean with a cleaning agent right after? I will clean all equipment with a cleaning agent prior to next batch. TIA.

awillis said:
I just racked to the secondary, then cleaned the primary with just water. Can I leave the primary like this until next use or must I clean with a cleaning agent right after? I will clean all equipment with a cleaning agent prior to next batch. TIA.

I clean everything right after using it. Using just water will more than likely leave some sort of residue inside, coating the plastic or glass of the fermener vessel. Now let that dry for several days and guage how hard you'll have to work to clean it.

I clean up right after I rack, and it takes maybe 10 minutes from start to finish to clean all my gear. The time spent then is better than the LLOONNGG time I'd need later.

I let my primary soak in water w/ oxyclean overnight without racking. I never thought about using oxyclean until someone here asked if it was possible. I figured I'd give it a try. It eats right through the krausen ring and rinses out easy. I don't even use my carboy brush anymore. Of course, I rinse and sanitize again immediately before brewing.

Back