Sanitation techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaus88

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish red ale today. Everything went well, it’s safe and sound all tucked away in the fermenter. I got up at 730 and finished around 7. (That is from the start of getting stuff out to putting it away)

my question is what is everyone’s cleaning and sanitizing procedures that could help speed up my day.

My procedure is once things are setup I first have to heat up the water for the PBW in both kettle and MLT. Once that is done run it through the pumps and hose, let it recirc for a minute or two then let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Once done drain the pots into buckets for later use. Then fill with water and run that through the same lines for 5 minutes, drain into a bucket for later use. Continue on with brew day, then when I’m all done rerun the same cleaning regiment as the beginning of the day except I just spray off with the hose. Then dry and store away until next time.

any suggestions or just post your procedure

Thanks and cheers!

I only do a recirculating hot PBW clean of my 3v2p 20g rig after some number of brews - and I don't do it on a brew day.
In between I do a light cleaning of the mlt and bk at my brew sink and simply wipe the hlt dry.

If one chills in the bk the one thing that needs to be sanitary is the drain valve...

Cheers!

No need to clean twice as RPH Guy stated. That's just a waste of time and pbw . My brew day takes between 5 - 6 hours. That's taking everything out and setting up to putting away .

Clean well after brewing. On brew day just pump a little hot water through the system to flush out any dust. Sanitize- spray or soak anything that will touch the cooled wort WHILE you are brewing. Start cleaning things during the brew, as soon as it is no longer being used.

Thanks everyone, I think from now one I am just going to heat water up and run it through the system like kh54s10 said and clean afterwards. I think I just misinterpreted information online about using PBW and how often to use it.

Cheers!

Back