Sanitation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EZMoneyAl

Hi everyone. I am fairly new to home brewing and have a question about sanitation. I have a tight schedule and need to attempt breaking down my brew day in to two days from time to time. Anyone have any success sanitizing the day before brewing? Appreciate any insight and guidance on the subject.

The best advice I've ever heard about brewing sanitization (other than "use StarSan") is clean just after use, sanitize just before use.

A spray bottle filled with StarSan is very good thing to have throughout the process.

+1 on the spray bottle. Starsan doesn't take more than a minute or two to work. I just fill my fermenter with a gallon of diluted starsan and shake it up then I'll fill a spray bottle with it. If you use a bucket to ferment in you can toss in anything else you may want sanitized. I know some people like to put their wort chiller in a bucket of starsan

Also, if you're truly "breaking down my brew day in to two days", there should be no reason to need to sanitize anything on day 1. Sanitation is only required for the cold-side of brewing (i.e. from kettle to carboy). If you make it to this point on the first day, there needn't be a second day.

So you should be able to mash, sparge, and collect your wort on day 1, and then on day 2 you boil, (sanitize), chill, and collect in the fermenter.

+1 on using a spray bottle of Starsan solution. It will go a long way, and you can sanitize anything instantly.

How much time do you have in one day ? All grain or extract ? Perhaps we can offer some tips on increasing your brew day efficiency or offer brewing techniques that are suited to your schedule...I've had 6 hour brew days and I've had 2 hour brew days...there are many ways to skin this cat!

Also, +1 to what magicmatt suggested.

Back