Sanitation Hazard?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno99

Reaction score
In my first homebrew attempt, I believe I filled my fermenter (plastic bucket) too full with wort as after 1.5 days of activity, the airlock became plugged with worth and yeast and the pressure eventually blew the lid off of the bucket. The lid was cracked open for 4 hours. What threat does this pose? Should I pitch it all out? Thanks!

Do not pitch it. It will be fine. You did not fill it too full. Did you put the lid back on?

Welcome to the boards. Stay on here and read as much as you can. You will learn to RDWHAHB.

Loop

NO! Never pitch out a batch until you absolutely know for sure it's infected. You have a great chance of it being fine! It happens all the time. Search for blow off tube and you'll see what I mean!

Just clean the airlock and the lid, resanitize and stick it back on. So much co2 is coming out, it's highly unlikely than any bacteria or wild yeast could come into your beer. Don't worry about it. It'll be fine.

Keep it going, it's probably fine. Next time use a blowoff tube the first few days if you're afraid of a blowout.

What was your recipe?

NO do not throw it out..... Clean up the mess and snap the lid back on.... get a blow off tube attached..... Ride it out.... You should be fine....

DRAGGER.....

Thanks for info! I did clean and re sanitize the lid and airlock this morning before work...hopefully I didn't have another 'splosion today!

It's a wheat beer..which I read, those particular strains of yeast produce a LOT of CO2!

There ya go. Not nearly as much to worry about with other yeasts, from what I've experienced in the few batches I have done.

Latest posts

Back