Sangria Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinjmay

Reaction score
I'm a wine making noob. I've only made one 6 gallon batch of skeeter pee. Although it turned out great (because I just followed a bunch of instructions), I want to make something different. I had an idea for a sangria wine, but I wasn't able to find a good recipe anywhere. A nice red wine with the flavor of some fruits would be really nice I think. I asked a friend of mine who makes wine for a local winery and he knows someone who makes it at home and they ferment the juice separately from the fruit. This confused me a little bit because I'm not entirely sure how to do that. Couldn't I just make it like I made skeeter pee and put all the fruit in a mesh bag and let it sit in there during fermentation? Or do I need to split it up and do like 3gal of juice in one container and then 3gal of juice + fruit in another, and then rack them into one after fermentation?

Any help or links to similar recipes would be helpful. I'm just trying to figure it all out before I buy anything.

If you want a fruitier taste rather than a wine like taste then you can mix up a must like normal with just fruit juices or for your sangria wine just some table grapes and once done you stabilize it with Camden and sorbate to then rack on top of fresh fruit. The fruit will not ferment and the flavors will leach into the wine.

A simple concord wine recipe to serve as a base for sangria may look like:

6 lbs fresh Concord grapes
3-1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
1 crushed Campden tablet
1 tsp yeast nutrient
Water to one gallon
wine yeast (Lalvin 71b-1112)

De-stem the grapes and place in nylon bag. Freeze the grapes and then thaw them in your wine bucket. Mix in everything except pectic enzyme and yeast. Wait 12 hours, mix it up well and then add pectic enzyme. Wait another 12 hours. Rehydrate your yeast per package directions and then pitch that. Stir twice daily for a week. Then wait an additional week. Now squeeze juice/wine from nylon bag and rack all liquid into carboy with airlock. Let this clear racking every 2-4 weeks till no sediment drops. Then you can stabilize with Camden and sorbate, which you need to wait 24 hours and then rack onto sangria fruits like the following:

4 peeled oranges
2 lemons
1 pt fresh strawberries or berries of choice
2 bananas
1/4 fresh pineapple

(All fruit peeled/de stemmed as appropriate , sliced and added to nylon bag in bucket/large bowel)

Leave in refrigerator covered for a few days, press the fruit and bottle. Also add sugar to taste if needed.

I like that idea. Although, I'm probably going to be buying a 5 gallon pail of Fredonia, which is locally grown here, for the red wine part. I'm assuming I can just ferment that by itself and then rack it over the fruit like you said. But I'm not sure if I'm going to get enough fruity flavor that way.

Why don't you make wine, and after making it you make some sangria with it? It will taste way much better. Now I am craving some sangria hahaha.

Why don't you make wine, and after making it you make some sangria with it? It will taste way much better. Now I am craving some sangria hahaha.

Ha that is pretty much what I suggested.

I like that idea. Although, I'm probably going to be buying a 5 gallon pail of Fredonia, which is locally grown here, for the red wine part. I'm assuming I can just ferment that by itself and then rack it over the fruit like you said. But I'm not sure if I'm going to get enough fruity flavor that way.

The way I suggested to do the fermenting is just how you make sangria in the first place. But instead of using a purchased wine you are just fermenting your own and then once clear and ready to bottle you instead rack onto the fruits you would use in a sangria.

Ha that is pretty much what I suggested.

The way I suggested to do the fermenting is just how you make sangria in the first place. But instead of using a purchased wine you are just fermenting your own and then once clear and ready to bottle you instead rack onto the fruits you would use in a sangria.

Good! It seems one of the best options. Whatever you decide to do enjoy it!

Back