Sanch's official all tri clover rig build!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I have not been getting much done this week as I started a new job on wedsday and its kickin my butt. I did get a little of the pipe fabbed up.

The recirculation/strike and sparge input. I am just holding it together with masking tape untill next weekend when I will go to my buddys to do the welding.

P1011331.jpg

Here is the mash drain.

P1011334.jpg

from the bottom the 2" tri clover will accept the powered mash mixer

P1011335.jpg

The BK input pipe

P1011337.jpg

On the inside.

P1011336.jpg

I still need to fab the BK#2 inlet and wire up the pumps and who knows what else? I am hoping to be brewing in two weeks.

HLT is not needed when you have instant water heating, and steam for injection into the wort for step mashing. As to the construction of the boiler, it is 1/4" copper tube rolled over 2" plastic pipe, and soldered to 1/2" copper tube, or a customized Swagelok brass cap fitting. The tube around the coils is nothing more than 6" stove pipe, the burner is a 4" high pressure burner. Here is a link to the copper boiler I have built https://picasaweb.google.com/kevin.ladue/Boiler02#.

I've been heavily considering having a 4" triclamp welded to the bottom of my mash tun to use a triclamp to 1/2" NPT as a drain and then take off the triclamp to dump the grains. Bottom drains large enough for everything to dump out make cleanup SOOOO much easier.

Dude, that is a hellacious idea! How would you get around the false bottom? Maybe use a fancy manifold instead?

If you went this route, you could make a chute under the drain that you could direct into a bucket or trashcan. Sorta like a tippy dump, but without the tip!:mug:

I built the flash boiler as klaude described. it realy wasnt very difficult.

I dont have a HLT on my rigg. I do have two BKs. With the tippie dump and flash boiler I should be able to brew two seperate 10-12 gallon batches in about 5 hours. Or two of the same to fill a larger fermenter. wich I may do once I nail down a few recipes. the flash boiler really opens up a lot of posabillities.

Dude, that is a hellacious idea! How would you get around the false bottom? Maybe use a fancy manifold instead?

If you went this route, you could make a chute under the drain that you could direct into a bucket or trashcan. Sorta like a tippy dump, but without the tip!:mug:

With the hinged false bottoms that have a handle, and since there's no diptube on my setup, you can pull the false bottom up through the grain. With a bucket underneath it'd be as simple as pushing it down through the hole.

Sorry for the threadjack, can't wait to see this thing in operation I have a triclamp fetish, and this system is hot.

With the hinged false bottoms that have a handle, and since there's no diptube on my setup, you can pull the false bottom up through the grain. With a bucket underneath it'd be as simple as pushing it down through the hole.

Sorry for the threadjack, can't wait to see this thing in operation I have a triclamp fetish, and this system is hot.

Don't worry about it. It is a great point. My pipe is only two inches but I am still going to test this out. I am thinking about attaching a shop vac and blasting it with a hose. I use my spent grain to feed my chickens, and the stupid ducks. So I want it as dry as I can get it. I usualy spread my grains on a window screen and dry them out on my patio roof. I dont want them to wet or dirty so I will clean the vacuum well and use water sparingly, maybe use a paint strainer to help remove the water. my false bottom is not hinged so I will have to come up with a plan to remove it. I will keep you all posted on the outcome.

Tri clovers are pretty sweet but let me warn you the glorious scrap yard find has become a glorious pain in the a$$. I am not trying to deter anyone from taking on this endeavor but unless you have a tig at home and a can use it with some proficiency this will only frustrate you. I could have been brewin months ago if I had gone the hose or copper pipe route. On the other hand I am very proud of my rig. My one regret is not going all out with full 3A sanitary process system. Although it is totally unnecessary I think that if you have or are going to spend the money on hard pipe/tri clovers you might as well.

Heh-heh....heh-heh...you said you're pipe is only 2 inches....heh-heh...heh-heh....

Beavis_uh-huh.jpg

Got a bit done this weekend out at the shop.

The mash output piping/sight glass.

P1011348.jpg

After we mounted it all up the sight glass was a bit crooked

P1011349.jpg

We heated it with a torch to straiten it out

P1011355.jpg

I also drilled a few hundred more holes in my false bottom

P1011231-1.jpg

That's all for now will post more as soon as possible. I started working on the wiring for the pumps so I should be able to start testing the recirculation circuit tomorrow.

I completed my ghetto wiring it is not finished product but it will work for some testing.
I know it does not have a GFCI built in yet but it is pluged in to a GFCI circuit.

P1011361.jpg

This is the mash tun drain the block off plate will accept the mash mixer eventually.

P1011357.jpg

The recirculation pipe circuit. I had to scrounge the gaskets from the every ware they were not being used.

P1011360.jpg

I did get some testing done this after noon. The ambient input water temp was 87°

P1011362.jpg

I fired up the flash boiler and turned on the water, I kind of messed with the flow rates a little and ended up with 122° water in the mash tun. about 5 gal in just under 5 minuets.

P1011363.jpg

When I had 5 gal I shut down the boiler and waited for a while. Then I fired it back up and turned on the steam input 10 GPH. The temperature stabilized at 240° steam.

P1011370.jpg

I turned on the pump (for the first time) and started the recirculation I soon noticed a sweet whirlpool in the MT it soon became so violent that the pump lost its prime. I just turned it of for a few seconds and was back in business. I chocked off the pump output valve to keep it from happening again.

P1011366.jpg

It took about 8 minuets to reach 155°.

P1011369.jpg

I also tested the sparge water output.

P1011371.jpg

Over all I was very happy with the results. The march pumps flow faster and were quieter than I thought. The flash boiler did what it was supposed to do and the plumbing was nearly leak free. I hope to do a test brew over the long weekend. after I complete the BK2 plumbing and clean every thing.

Is this diagram correct? I don't understand why you have the two flow meters and valves in parallel.

one of the valve/flow meter sets is tuned for steam output and the outher is tuned for sparge water output so all you have to do is light the burner and open the valve and the water comes out at the temp desired. or very close to it. also it hapened to work out that if you open both valves the output temp is very close to strike water temp.

Great Build. I plan on building a flash boiler based on these designs, can't wait to step mash with steam and do away with the HLT.

Sanch: Do you have any pictures of your diffuser? I know I have seen pictures of one somewhere but can't seem to find them now.

Thanks

Also. During a step mash, how do you prevent wort from flowing/ backing up into your steam circuit? Do you use a check valve on the steam input?

Thanks again,

Mark P

So i am sorry if it has been asked and i just read over it but what type of scrap yard did you find the tri clover fittings at? i would love to call around and piece my system together like that

Thanks in advance.

yes i know this is an older thread

Back