Sanbitter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enda

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone out there has a recipe for Sanbitter? It is an Italian bitter soda, that I cant get in my region and would like to use for non-alcoholic cocktails. Also following on from this could someone point me in the direction of studies done on the solubility of flavour and aroma compounds of different herbs and spices in alcohol and water depending on the ph, temp etc. Thanks guys.

If I remember right, sanbitter is Sanpellegrino's take on the flavor that goes by the generic name of "ginger" in Italy. It's been about 10 years since I lived there, but I think that's about right. If sanbitter gives you the faint reminiscence of vomit flavor, then it's a dead match for "ginger". Which I don't know if it has actual ginger in it or not. That probably doesn't help you, but it will at least give you some more search terms to try.

Edit:
My mistake, just browsed through the Italian wikipedia and it turns out I'm horribly wrong. It's possible that I just associated them because they're the same color.

Well this is nearly 10 years down the track but I have been searching for a cheaper alternative to Sanbitter as it is quite expensive. From my understanding making ones own bitters is a battle with solubility of the various ingredients, minimum in water with best flavour extraction in alcohol so if after a non-alcoholic alternative it appears problematic at best. Although I do not have the best palate in the world, ie I struggle to tell the difference between a $10 bottle of wine and one at $50, I have found that the Bitter made by Monin tastes exactly like Sanbitter and at a fraction of the price. Where I am (Australia) a 700ml bottle of Monin Bitter concentrate, which can make around 10 litre of drink, is around $18 Australian whereas Sanbitter, pack of 10 x 100 ml bottles, so 1 litre diluted ready to drink, is around $20. Basically you can get the Sanbitter experience for a tenth the price. But if you want classy then the little 100 mL Sanbitter bottle inverted into a large glass of sparking water, is the way to go. I have a nice photo but do not know how to attach it but trust me it is classy.

Back