San Diego Super Yeast at 50F- Wife turned off heat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JClem73

Reaction score
I brewed a Stone IPA clone with the liquid San Diego Super yeast last week and left 24 hours later on vacation for 4 days. My wife turned off the heat without telling me (because is was 72F in VA when we left; she didn't look at the weather) so my house and fermenter were down to a chilly 50F when I returned.

I know the yeast was active when I left and even had some come through the airlock after I left 24 hours after pitching at 68F. The heated house has brought the temp of the primary back up to ~66F but I'm wondering if the yeast will wake back up on their own or if there is something else I need to do? Should I pitch a new yeast? Swirl the fermenter and wait to take a gravity reading when going to secondary? I did not take an OG reading since I normally don't have any issues and patiently wait at least 7 days before going to secondary. Anyone have any experience with this situation?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I had a similar issue recently and remember reading someone say to swirl the fermentor to help get the yeast back in suspension. I did this with a Rye PA, using US-05, and it took off again within minutes.

Should be fine. Swirl your fermenter and let it alone. My temps were 66-68* for 14 days...

The two times I've used wlp090 I've noticed very little to no airlock activity. FG was spot on though and beer turned out great!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So you were actively fermenting for 24 hrs before the heat was turned off, right?

Chances are, if your house was at fermentation temps when you left and the heat was turned off, it took all or most of another 24 hr day (or longer) to get down to 50F. Unless your house is horribly insulated and crashed to 50F in a few hours, you likely spent at least 48 hours in the fermentation temp range for that yeast, meaning the bulk of your primary ferment was likely done.

As long as you're still on the primary yeast, I agree with the others above. Warm it up and swirl the fermenter a bit to wake the yeast up and have it start eating again in the event that there are still sugars to consume. Either that or it will clean up some of the fermentation byproducts it didn't get to before cooling.

I'd give it a week at warmer temps and check your gravity to see where you are vs. your predicted FG.

Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure it had at least 3 days above 60 to actively ferment. So I guess I will still have active yeast to bottle condition when the time comes?

Thanks for the input guys. I'm sure it had at least 3 days above 60 to actively ferment. So I guess I will still have active yeast to bottle condition when the time comes?

You're good to go. Even if you cold crash after a normal ferment, you will still have sufficient yeast in suspension to bottle condition

Latest posts

Back