Samuel Adams Utopia

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
Anyone ever try it I know its a limited release and only is released one in a while. I heard its amazing more like a barley wine.

they had it GABF last year, and I went back a couple times. Very good IMO. But you're right, it's not carbonated and served warm like a cognac, and tastes more like a liquor. I would't pay the $175 retail for it, but I'd pay a quarter of that and split it with friends. It's definitely worth trying.

Yeah. Much more like liquor than barleywine. I have a bottle in my cupboard and I like it, but I don't pull it out that often. I just wanted the experience of drinking it once. I'm glad I have it.

I had it at a "Beer University" that a local bar held. They basically pick a theme, for instance "American Craft Beers" was the name of this one, and you pay $25 and sample 20 or so 3oz samples of a bunch of different beers that coincide with the theme of the evening and they educate you on the style you're drinking as well as the brewery that brewed it. It was pretty cool. Anyhow, this was the last one they brought out. It wasnt even actually on the "menu" so it was kind of a cool surprise. It is very much like cognac or any after dinner liquor. It had no carbonation and I think rang in at around 28% ABV if I remember correctly. When it was swirled in the tasting glass it actually had legs on the side of the glass much like a fine wine or brandy. It was super cool to get to try it.

I had it at the Vail Big Beers Festival. I was very suprised by the taste. At 28% I was expecting more of a bite. It was much smoother then I expected. I like it better than the triple bock they were serving. The triple bock had a much harder taste. Overall I really enjoyed it.

I bought a 2009 bottle of it for the experience of it. it's well worth it. very unique. the bottle lasted me about 6 months but I shared easily more than 1/2 the bottle with family at christmas. if it were just me drinking it I would probably still have a huge amount left - it's a once in a blue moon after dinner drink, like Carnevoodoo said..

I had it at GABF last year as well. I would recommend trying it at least once. Im not a fan though. It tastes like someone dumped some whiskey in my beer. I hate whiskey though. So if you are a fan of whiskey... i would bet its the thing for you.

How's it compare to the Triple Bock they produced in the late 90's? I bought two bottles in like 1997 and still have one unopened. The plastic wrap on the top is cracked, but that shouldn't have effected it at all. I think I have the second botle as well, which I drank half of and recorked. Though, I assume there are chances something got in there and infected, or it's gotten oxisidzed from the headspace. Hmmm. Maybe I'll pull it out and check. :)

It's UNREAL.

We bought a bottle for a group of 8, (me included), giving us each about 3 oz. It was the 2009, and it was insanely good.

It's not really "beer". It's not like a bock or barleywine or anything else. It's like a cognac, or port, or mixture of all. It's a crazy experience, and it lights up your mouth.

We had everyone from the ultra-beer snobs, like myself, to the bud light drinkers. We had folks who drink excellent whiskys straight, and folks who can't choke down hard liquor unless it's mixed with coke. EVERYBODY loved it. It's a taste all on its own.

I highly recommend either throwing down the $170 yourself or getting a group together to have a bottle. It's something that everyone should try once.

How's it compare to the Triple Bock they produced in the late 90's? I bought two bottles in like 1997 and still have one unopened. The plastic wrap on the top is cracked, but that shouldn't have effected it at all. I think I have the second botle as well, which I drank half of and recorked. Though, I assume there are chances something got in there and infected, or it's gotten oxisidzed from the headspace. Hmmm. Maybe I'll pull it out and check. :)

They are very different products. I have a bottle of triple bock I'm assuming will marinate a steak at some point.

FWIW, Utopias is a different blend from various barrels/creations and the last batch of Utopias has Triple Bock as one of the beers blended into it.

FWIW, Utopias is a different blend from various barrels/creations and the last batch of Utopias has Triple Bock as one of the beers blended into it.

yeah, and it speaks volumes for how well blending can mask odd flavors and change a beer. Triple Bock tastes like soy sauce.

It's one creation aged in 5 different style barrels then blended together at bottling time. I split a bottle with my G.F. and it's great stuff.
Also spoke with Jim K. at the extreme beer fest in Boston (it was served there) there isn't and from what Jim said never was any triple bock used in any of the batches.

Latest posts

Back