Sampling from the Carboy Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin_

Reaction score
When I sample beer out of my carboy for a hydo reading I carefully and slowly tip the carboy over and pour a little in to a cup. Is this a bad idea? I do it as to not slosh it around, but can this slight movement every so often hurt the brew? I've done this for my first two brews and it hasn't seemed to affect it, though I don't think I'm qualified to really say that. Any comments? I'm starting a southern brown ale tomorrow and I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row before I start on it.

p.s. Only two hours until I get off for the weekend and you know what that means. I have some tasty amarillo ale waiting on me at home. :tank:

Don't tip and pour! You run the risk of aerating the brew, as well as stirring up the sediment on the bottom. I use a sanitized turkey baster to get my samples out- but a wine thief is a great tool.

if you need to take a reading before you get a baster or theif, take a peice of tubing and sanitize it, drop it in while holding one end out. Pinch it off or put your finger on the open end and pull out the tubing. It might take more than one sample to fill your hydrometer tube, depending on the hose diameter you use.

Don't tip and pour! You run the risk of aerating the brew, as well as stirring up the sediment on the bottom. I use a sanitized turkey baster to get my samples out- but a wine thief is a great tool.

I did this too, I was like where will I get a wine thief around here. Opened my drawer up in the kitchen and went "I'm a freakin genius!"

Don't be an idiot like me and stick the baster in the carboy , and then squeeze the bulb, there by blowing a baster full of air into your beer.:eek:

Latest posts

Back