Sampled my first extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerturn11

Reaction score
My first extract brew turned out ok at best. It is drinkable but not great. I think I might have oxygenated my beer during The bottling process. I tried to filter during the transfer to the bottling bucket and the rest is history. Oh well lesson learned. At least it is drinkable.

Describe the rest of your process. How was the filtering done? Certainly was a bad idea but I'd like to get an idea of how your other choices may have lead to your sub par results...

Temperature control during the first few days of fermentation has the most effect on the flavor of your beer. While oxidation is bad for the beer, it takes a while to build so if you drink your beer fairly soon, you may not notice it much. If you did oxidize it, you will notice the "wet cardboard" taste beginning to develop and you will want to finish drinking that batch soon.

It's hard to place but that's what I think I taste, a woody kind of taste. Hard to explain. I put a funnel with a screen on top of my bottling bucket while I transferred from primary fermenter. As far as temperature control goes I put the fermenter and bottles after transfer in my unfinished basement. Temperature is constantly around 72 to 74 degrees. My sanitation is good and it doesn't taste "Infected" just a little off with the aftertaste.

It's hard to place but that's what I think I taste, a woody kind of taste. Hard to explain. I put a funnel with a screen on top of my bottling bucket while I transferred from primary fermenter. As far as temperature control goes I put the fermenter and bottles after transfer in my unfinished basement. Temperature is constantly around 72 to 74 degrees. My sanitation is good and it doesn't taste "Infected" just a little off with the aftertaste.

siphon, don't pour

After fermentation is over the only time your beer should be poured is into a glass. As said above... siphon! Congrats on your first brew! :mug:

You say your temp is around 72-74..is that air temp or ferment temp? If it is ambient temp it is too high as fermentation can increase the temp a fair bit. Research swamp cooler on here. If it is the ferment temp it is pushing the limits of the yeast, without getting unwanted flavours. you want to get your ferment temp in the 60's.

glick said:
After fermentation is over the only time your beer should be poured is into a glass. As said above... siphon! Congrats on your first brew! :mug:

Ya I siphoned into the bottling bucket through a funnel. Didn't pour but still not good. Won't do that again.

NewWestBrewer said:
You say your temp is around 72-74..is that air temp or ferment temp? If it is ambient temp it is too high as fermentation can increase the temp a fair bit. Research swamp cooler on here. If it is the ferment temp it is pushing the limits of the yeast, without getting unwanted flavours. you want to get your ferment temp in the 60's.

That is the air temperature. Probably a little too warm but all I have. I might have to look into that swamp cooler idea during the summer months.

With my wife's help I finally placed the slightly off flavor. Ginger. Not the sweet type but the after sushi type. Any ideas?

Back