Same Gravity three days in a row but not recipe TG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicagobrewer

Reaction score
I racked my Franzikaner clone (Belgium Wheat) a week ago to my secondary. I have at the same reading of 1.018 for three days but the TG for the recipe is 1.012. Should I wait or should I bottle?

I just brewed an AHS Oatmeal Stout that ended with a reading of 1.018 after 3+ weeks in the primary (was shooting for 1.012). Sometimes these things happen.

At 10 days I'd definitely wait. But then again I'd wait just because I happen to prefer my beer to sit in the primary for 3 weeks.

It might be done but,
It really hasn't been working very long at 13 days or so? So you can give it a little time.
Has the temperature changed? If it is cooler, perhaps warming it up for a day or two might finish it off. Or if you aren't adjusting the hydrometer reading, perhaps it isn't stable.

If you are in a hurry to finish and bottle and your reading is stable you can bottle, but I bet your beer will taste better if you wait another week or so.

Did you taste the beer in your hydrometer tube? How was it? It gives a good idea how your beer will taste if you bottle it.

Regards

It tasted a little watery or maybe weak. Will that go away if I let it rack longer? My temps have been 64 or 65. Which I know is somewhat low but it seemed to be working well in the primary.

Young, uncarbonated beer always seems to taste watery.

Try moving the carboy to a warmer area (as previously suggested), and wait another week. Then bottle and leave it alone for at least 3 weeks.

Back