Sam adams nobile pils gf style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbskier

Reaction score
this used to be one of my favorite beers before I was forced to go gf.

There are other threads that detail the hoping schedule pretty good so I'll use that as a starting point. However I am looking for suggestions on how to replicate the pilsner malt. also I am not set up to lager as o yet. Are there any ale yeasts that will get me similar results? I can cold age in my basement but don't have the capability for lagerinlagering.

Thanks

I'd be interested in this too. My wife can't do gluten but likes Sam Adams. I told her I would try and do a GF beer for her and this would be great to start with.

US-05 is the yeast you want; it's the cleanest dry ale yeast on the market. For the pilsner malt, I'd suggest using maybe 70% rice extract and 30% sorghum extract, with a bit of maltodextrin added. Here's a good thread on the beer: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sam-adams-noble-pils-clone-163003/, about halfway down the page someone has advice directly from the Sam Adams brewery. It's decoction-mashed, and you could try to replicate that by mixing up the rice syrup with maybe 1/3 of your boil water and just boil that for a bit, then add the rest of the water, do the boil, and add the sorghum. I don't really know if that would simulate it or not, but it seems like it might.

How long would you boil the rice before adding the rest of the water and do the normal boil?

Also are you suggesting adding the sorghum at flameout?

I am assuming the colder I can ferment this (staying within the s-05 range) the better.

After bottling and carbonating would it make sense to cold condition the bottles for a few weeks to somewhat simulate lagering.

Thanks for your help

I'm not exactly sure about how long to boil the concentrated rice syrup; I think the above thread mentions a decoction that's boiled for 20 minutes, so maybe that's a good start? Yes, I'm suggesting adding sorghum at flame-out. A colder ferment will definitely be better, yeah. Cold conditioning might help, too, just know it will increase the time-span of carbonation.

How would it be to let the beer carbonate then cold condition? Or does it have to be done before carbonation to get the lagering effect....would adding any steeping grains add anything? I guess there is no way to duplicate the pilsner malt typically used

I know Homebrewconnection in Colorado had different malted millets and they had a red pilsner that would be perfect however they don seem to be in business anymore. I have called and emailed with no luck.

You could try Colorado Malting Company, but I haven't yet heard any all-grain GF success stories using their malts. Steeping unmalted grains won't get you much in a pilsner, though I guess you could try it and see. Corn or millet, lightly toasted at a low temp maybe.

Latest posts

Back