Sam Adams Longshot Six Pack...disspaointed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any retail six pack is going to suck. It is a marketing gimmick.

Yes, it was decent. I couldn't really tell it was pineapple but it took the edge off of the IPA a lot, so I assume that was the pineapple's doing. But not what I would consider a great IPA or anything I would want again. The woman who made the pineapple IPA is a Sam Adams employee. Not that it should matter, and they didn't try to hide it it doesn't seem.

The American Stout was also respectable, and actually the best in the 6 pack. Out of the 3, the American Stout was the only one I would want to sit down and drink, but I would not be raving about it to my friends.

The Gratzer got dumped down the sink. I know it is smokey, but it seems like they added artificial smoke or something to it. Way too much smoke to enjoy the beer.

Anything with "Sam Adams" on it should not contain "IPA" anywhere. I have had a whole bunch of different ipas from Sam Adams. I'm not sure why I keep trying them. Oh well. I'll avoid this offering too. Not like I can get here in bfe utardia anyway.

fwiw, and best as I can recall, there has always been an employee recipe in the Long Shot series, it's pretty much the opposite of a secret thing. And as best as I recall, the employee entries have usually been the lesser lights in the collection (I recall a Lavender brew that was close to dumpable).

SA mixed packs (sadly, including the annual Hopology) are a crap shoot, and the odds of a good score aren't with the more discerning/critical consumer, historically...

Cheers!

FWIW, Cesar's Gratzer is better when he makes it than it was from Sam Adams. ;)

Obviously, they have to tweak the recipe for a commercial brewing system, but SA's version is higher alcohol and smokier.

I agree that the six pack was a letdown. None of them were great by any means. It would be pretty interesting to try the original contest winning brews from the other two as well.

I agree TallDan, I think Cesar's Gratzer definitely had potential if it were not done on a commercial brewing system, I'd actually be really interested in tasting the difference.

Back