Salud from Nevada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried to make a beer a week for the last couple of months. The only bummer is I have a bunch of beer bottled but not much of it is ready to drink.

Hey Hop Ranger.

So, I've got a question for you, should be easy.

Our hops farm is about to get bigger. We need to take apart the entire telles system and everything the previous owner set up because it simply sucks.

Should we replace it with a Pyramid trelles (one spike, with bines crawling diagonally upward) or a trolley trelles. Both of these will be in the open air with no building, just lines and stakes. We have tons of space. I'm thinking of growing three varieties. 3 bines each.

Btw, how much does a good full-sized bine yield?

I would go with a pyramid style trellis. You could potentially get a yield of 18-30ish pounds of wet hops per bine. From what I've read a 5 gallon bucket full of hop cones is about 3-5lbs of wet hops.

My Dubbel is bubbling away and smells fantastic!! And the ESB is going to be hands down the best beer I've made.

Damn, that's a lot. Probably only need one rhizome of each type of hops then. No way we'd make that much beer even in a year unless we opened a brewery. Which is not off the table...

Which varieties do you have? If I were to,,say,,,,share them, what do you think would be good? I'm thinking Goldings and Warrior ;)

Our Irish Red Ale is at home now, I haven't gotten to check if it's bubbling or not, I've been in Tahoe all weekend.

Now remember when you move them your yield isn't going to be that much.

Before the dog decided to eat at the hop buffet I had Glacier, Magnum, Centennial and Cascade. Next year when Trevor gets rhizomes back I'm going to try again. I really want Glacier, Centennial, Hersbrucker and Galena since I use those the most.

I'm a big fan of Goldings, the Warrior would be a good option as IPA's and bigger beers such as Imperial Stouts and Porters are growing in popularity. Have you indentified the hops you have yet?

I read that a dog could die from eating hops, is yours okay? Be careful!

99% sure it's cascade. It has the grassy rough smell of Cascade.

I'm okay with the low yield, no biggie.

I'm thinking Cascade, Warrior (maybe), Goldings, Perle. I used perle in my chocolate stout, it was amazing.

I've written up the math for a basic pyramid trellis that can start with support for 4 bines but because of how spread out it is (50ft diameter), it'll have space for up to 20 bines or so. Don't think we'll ever need that many but who knows. It's easily expandable and disassembles for harvesting. Also will make it easier to irrigate.

The dog is fine he ate them months ago.

If your thinking of giving them away? Selling some? Cascade would definitely be a great choice.

A low yield isn't a bad thing since a couple pounds of hops is a ton of cones.

As you said earlier unless you plan on brewing on a ginormous scale I can't see you ever needing room for more than 4 bines.

I honestly really dislike cascade in beer, so we'll probably sell those and use the others and then sell whatever is left of those too.

I'm not a huge fan of cascade my self but you can't hardly throw a dead cat without hitting an American beer that uses them.

Once the chickens go into full egg production maybe we can work something out for some of the other hops.

I'm totally down with hops for eggs.

Agree with dead cats. At the Mammoth Blues and Brews Fest so many beers had cascade hops I felt like I was eating grass and I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth.

Sweet!! I'll let you know when the chickens start producing like they should.

I think I might feel different about cascade if they used less or in conjuction with another hop.

I forgot to mention my recipe for the flanders brown calls for oak chips in the secondary ala dry hopping so I decided to soak the chips in Famous Grouse 18yr. I'll let you know how that works out.

Back