Salud from Nevada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome I'm in Carson as well. I have a couple of beers Incubator (a doppelbock) and Octobeer (a marzen with cherries) destined to be bottled in the not too distant future. Up next an oatmeal stout and Just Peechy (a dubbel with peaches). Happy brewing probst!!

Its not particularly difficult to make. Are you still extract brewing? Partial mash? You don't necessarily need a fridge to lager a marzen in you could use an ale yeast rather than a lager yeast which would eliminate the need to lager. It will just depend on how true to style you wish to stay. I did use a lager yeast in mine as I do have an extra fridge in the garage with a tempeture control. The recipe I used as is follows.

6lbs Munich DME
1# Caramel 90
1/4lb Chocolate
1/2lb Toasted ( I used biscuit)
1.25oz Mt Hood 60 minutes
1/2oz Hersbrucker 10 minutes
3lbs fresh cherries steeped for 10 minutes after boil
White Labs German Bock yeast WLP833

It smells absolutely amazing. With exception of the cherries which came from my girlfriends mom's house. I bought all the ingriedients at Just Brew It here in town for around $30. If you haven't been there I would recommend checking it out if Trevor doesn't have it he'll order it for you.

Hope this helps

Its not particularly difficult to make. Are you still extract brewing? Partial mash? You don't necessarily need a fridge to lager a marzen in you could use an ale yeast rather than a lager yeast which would eliminate the need to lager. It will just depend on how true to style you wish to stay. I did use a lager yeast in mine as I do have an extra fridge in the garage with a tempeture control.

It smells absolutely amazing. With exception of the cherries which came from my girlfriends mom's house. I bought all the ingriedients at Just Brew It here in town for around $30. If you haven't been there I would recommend checking it out if Trevor doesn't have it he'll order it for you.

Hope this helps

Awesome! this is great. Do you have any recommendations for an ale yeast with this one or should I just go with a regular one?

Oh yah, I definitely know Trevor, I probably go there more than I need to. And will have to go again soon because I'm out of starsan and broke my racking cane.

We call ourselves Nevada Street Bucket Brewing on Facebook, you should check it out.

Thanks for the recipe, I think I'll definitely want to use that. Looks crazy good.

I personally am a big fan of California Ale yeast, you could however use whatever you would like. But then I'm all about experimentation in brewing. Right now I'm kicking around a couple different ideas for an IPA and a porter.

Trevor's porter recipe is awesome. If you make one, you should at least use his as your base for modification if not a good starter. It's very simple but very rich in beer taste, a tad of chocolate coffee flavor after it ages. Trevor really likes his specialty grains to get that beer flavor.

My Imperial IPA makes the whole house seriously smell like bread right now. It's in a carboy covered by a box and I still get hit in the face with it when I open my front door.

What did you decide to do for yeast in a marzen?

Thinking about using White Labs' German Ale yeast. It's a lagering yeast, so it'll give me lagering affects with better temperature range. Probably wait until it's colder outside to make it, that way I can ferment it in my outdoor laundry closet. Maybe. Haven't decided yet.

Sounds great! Just be careful to monitor the tempature outside if your going to lager outside if it gets too cold fermentation will stop. Even with the controller I have on the fridge in my garage I still have to keep on eye on it during the fall and winter months. A light bulb or possibly a brooder light might be enough to keep the conditions in the closet ideal.

If it is too cold in the closet which you might use to lager in the use of a light bulb ( work light, old lamp) or a brooder light ( its used to help chickens maintain body heat in coops) might raise the ambient tempeture of the closet enough to prevent possible fermantation issues such as stuck fermentation

If it is too cold in the closet which you might use to lager in the use of a light bulb ( work light, old lamp) or a brooder light ( its used to help chickens maintain body heat in coops) might raise the ambient tempeture of the closet enough to prevent possible fermantation issues such as stuck fermentation

Great idea. I'll have to take a bunch of readings during a weekend like every hour of the day to see how it fluctuates.

If you decide to use heat source that also produces light don't for get to cover your fermentor. I'm in the process of devising a recipe for a toasted apricot oatmeal stout I put the porter on the back burner for now.

Hey TheHopRanger, we just found some "wild" hops in a friend's ranch that she's going to let us harvest and tend to. Do you have any experience growing hops?

I don't, yet. I know here there is a nursery that sells them in the spring as does the home brew shop. I am planning on growing some this next spring.

Before the dog decided to eat them yes. What would you like to know? You'll want to harvest them before the first frost.

Before the dog decided to eat them yes. What would you like to know? You'll want to harvest them before the first frost.

That's kinda funny but sorry to hear it.

Anyway, so we kind of inherited a hop garden. Do you know of any way to tell what kind of hops they are other than smelling them?

Unfortunately their is no other way that I know of. I do know most varieties thrive here. The dog didn't think it was very funny after a pummeled him with a rhizome.

Heh.

Well, it's in pretty bad state of disrepair, it's been wild for at least a year. So I might have some more questions but I've been doing a lot of reading and there's just enough hops on the big overgrown bines for 1 beer. So we'll probably harvest it soon then prep it for winter. Probably transplant it to face South instead of West (the sun is blocked by a big ass tree....and the only hops that grew are bleeding off the side of the building facing south and north anyway).

After you transplant it you won't have much yield the first year as it is establishing itself again. Bottled the cherry marzen it is damn good it might not make it long enough for me to try it fully carbonated.

After you transplant it you won't have much yield the first year as it is establishing itself again. Bottled the cherry marzen it is damn good it might not make it long enough for me to try it fully carbonated.

Hmm, maybe I'll train it to go up the side North and South side of the outhouse but leave the rhizomes in the same place? Some diagrams I've seen show diagonal bines. But the outhouse isn't really tall enough anyway, it's only like 10ft. tall. People suggest 25ft.

Ponder ponder ponder...

We're going to make our Jameson Irish Red first, but now I'll really try to make the Marzen ASAP.

Sounds like you have a plan. You might want to try to get as close to 25 feet as possible with the possible growth you might experience I would err towards the side of caution.

How are you going to incorporate the Jameson's into your red?

I suppose to get the extra feet, I could....either get large trelleses but that seems complex if I'm leaving the rhizomes....or maybe trolley lines between the barn/garage and the outhouse (which the bines have managed to grow onto anyway).

Not sure. Maybe transplanting is unavoidable. What do you think? If you want to see pictures, find Nevada Street Bucket Brewing on Facebook, I've got some photos up there.

Most people suggest putting the Jameson in before bottling for flavor only. But you have to be careful about the high level of alcohol killing beer yeast. It's almost better just to mix it in the glass it seems. My co-brewer wants to use oak chips but I really don't feel like waiting 3 months for a basic 4-week recipe. Also I don't think you'd get Jameson taste from that. Seems smarter just to purposely cause diacetyl taste and add some whisky type spices to it to simulate the whole thing.

I think transplanting might be unavoidable. A line of some sort between buildings might be your best option at this point. However you might want to move half now and once the rhizomes that have been transplanted establish themselves which should be about a year move the other half perhaps even to your home for ease of harvest and care.

What kind of flavor profile were you going to shoot for with the Jameson red?

Yah. I'll try that.

Good question actually. I think we were more just morbidly curious to see what happens. I think we'll just put the Jameson into our glass first to see if it's even a good idea. Mostly just trying to mix Irish with more Irish. :)

I used 3.5 lbs of fresh cherries that I mashed the hell out of and steeped them at the end of the boil for 15 minutes. My girlfriend's mom has a cherry tree that is an epic cherry producer. Sometime I might attempt a lambic with some. Unfortunately I can't this year but next year I can probably hook you up with as many as you would like :)

Your supposed to use 1 pound of fruit for every gallon of water but I wanted the cherry flavor to be subtle. How's the IPA doin?

Hey Nevada folkals. Any of you used Honey in your brews? What about as a carbonation primer? Any tips or tricks on how to make a "heavy" honey note without being over the top?

Also, HopRanger, I had my first Marzen yesterday. It was AWESOME. I can't wait to make our own now.

I actually try to keep a honey lager onhand it is extremely easy to make and really good too. I use 2.5 lbs of honey, 3 lbs of light dme and a pound of crystal 40. I try to use a lower alpha hop so the flavor of the honey comes through.

Just made a dubbel and bottled the toasted apricot oatmeal stout which is AMAZING!! Should be moving the ESB to a carboy in the next couple of days. The vienna lager will be bottled in a couple of days. Bottled the doppelbock 8-10 days ago. Up next my xmas beer for which I'm still trying to iron some things out and my flanders brown.

Happy to hear you had the chance to try a marzen.

Damn, you are beer making machine!

This month we're making 3 beers, possibly four.

We'll be making an Irish Red Ale tomorrow (Just Brew It's recipe), a Scottish Light Ale, a Honey Wheat Ale (strongly considering doing a decoction on that one after reading up on it to help along the wheat, but it depends which type of Wheat Ale we choose). And someone gave us an English Pale Ale kit, so I think we'll Wet Hop that with our new friends for funzies (and to figure out wtf they are).

So we need another fermenter to pull all of that off. And I think we'll go through all 200 of our bottles. So it's time to start collecting more.

Back