Salted Caramel Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yellow_Boots

Reaction score
One of my closest friends just got married in Canada is having a state-side reception in a few months. The party is going to be small, so I offered to brew all of the beer for him as a gift. He was very enthusiastic. When I asked he and his now-wife for what kind of brews they would want, among the list of suggestions was a "Salted Caramel Porter." I was instantly intrigued, as I cannot think of anything of that sort that I have had before.

I brewed a 2.5 gallon test batch last night, and want to see what you guys think.

4 gallon pre-boil
2.5 gallon final volume

Mash 154 for 60 min.

3.5 lb Pale malt
1.0 lb Salted Deep Amber Candi Syrup
0.75 lb Caramel 120
0.38 lb Special Roast
0.38 lb Caramel 40
0.25 lb White Wheat
0.25 lb Flaked Oats

0.5 oz Cascade (60 min)
0.25 oz Fuggle (60 min)
0.25 oz Cascade (15 min)
0.25 oz Fuggle (15 min)

WLP023 Burton Ale Yeast

The Candi sugar is homemade. 1 lb of sugar + 0.5 cup water + 1.25 tsp DAP nutrient. Boiled until it hits 290F. 2 tbsp of kosher salt added, then the whole batch of goodness was tossed into the boil with about fifteen minutes left.

It's too light for my taste, so I'll add some debittered black or something next time to make it nice and dark. Besides that, it's fermenting wildly after only a few hours in the carboy.

Back