Salt for Club Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LBussy

A Cunning Linguist
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am absolutely sure this is covered here somewhere but in my defense I searched (with the iPad app) and did not find it.

How much salt - assuming that is the magic ingredient - do you use to make club soda?

I started a similar unanswered thread after reading a chapter on it in the fix the pumps book. For old timey bubbly mineral water, it had other salts than table salt. The chemical names are too tedious to repeat but sea salt would include some and baking soda also. But there are great complications because that can create bubbles in acid, and in fact created natural carbing... takes special handling. I hate the whole idea of sea salt... it tends to be crystalized scummy shoreline crap rather deep ocean salt... urine and the like... try visiting where its made.

I am aware that mineral water has ... "stuff", but I'm not searching for that. I'm talking about just club soda, the stuff you buy in the store as a mixer. The question came up yesterday when I asked my wife to grab some to make "spritzers" with the apfelwein. Nothing noisy-toity needed there.

So I snagged some of the no-name club soda (which worked just fine thank you) and it says it has 95 mg of sodium per 12 oz serving.

NaCl has a molecular mass of 58.44 g/mol. Sodium being 22.99 g/mol it is 39% of the mass of the salt molecule. That works out to 2.56 g of NaCl to contribute 1 g of sodium to a solution (or 2560 mg of salt to contribute 1000 mg sodium). My original 95 mg of sodium for a 12 oz can is now 7.92 mg/oz (metric purists please forgive me) or 1,013 mg/gal. In theory I need about a gram of salt per gallon of pure water to mimick my Price Chopper Best Choice club soda.

If anyone can find fault with my math or science, constructive criticism is welcome.

So I figure I can now figure out the sodium level of my local water and adjust, maybe even check out what the premium brand has. I like the taste of the water here so tap water will probably be fine.

I am aware that mineral water has ... "stuff", but I'm not searching for that. I'm talking about just club soda, the stuff you buy in the store as a mixer. The question came up yesterday when I asked my wife to grab some to make "spritzers" with the apfelwein. Nothing noisy-toity needed there.

So I snagged some of the no-name club soda (which worked just fine thank you) and it says it has 95 mg of sodium per 12 oz serving.

NaCl has a molecular mass of 58.44 g/mol. Sodium being 22.99 g/mol it is 39% of the mass of the salt molecule. That works out to 2.56 g of NaCl to contribute 1 g of sodium to a solution (or 2560 mg of salt to contribute 1000 mg sodium). My original 95 mg of sodium for a 12 oz can is now 7.92 mg/oz (metric purists please forgive me) or 1,013 mg/gal. In theory I need about a gram of salt per gallon of pure water to mimick my Price Chopper Best Choice club soda.

If anyone can find fault with my math or science, constructive criticism is welcome.

So I figure I can now figure out the sodium level of my local water and adjust, maybe even check out what the premium brand has. I like the taste of the water here so tap water will probably be fine.

It's sodium bicarbonate, that's why it tastes like crap.

I dunno, I think club soda is good *in* things ... the whole sodium ion thing I would guess.

Okay so if it's bicarb then that's 84.007 g mol, sodium is 27.3665%, so 3.654 mg NaHCO3 to net 1 mg sodium. Going back to my fancy Club soda it's now 3.7 grams of sodium bicarbonate to get that 95 mg / 12 oz.

My previous post was off though, it would have been 2.59g of salt, not 1g, to get the same sodium concentration in one gallon water.

I dunno, I think club soda is good *in* things ... the whole sodium ion thing I would guess.

Okay so if it's bicarb then that's 84.007 g mol, sodium is 27.3665%, so 3.654 mg NaHCO3 to net 1 mg sodium. Going back to my fancy Club soda it's now 3.7 grams of sodium bicarbonate to get that 95 mg / 12 oz.

My previous post was off though, it would have been 2.59g of salt, not 1g, to get the same sodium concentration in one gallon water.

I'm just going to say yes....

Back