Saison Yeast...Now What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildactbrewer

Reaction score
I bought a pack of Stillwater Artisanal Stateside Saison last night. While the beer itself wasn't particularly impressive, I harvested some yeast from the dregs and plan to build up a pitchable culture from it.

My question, the part I really liked about the beer was the yeast character. It lent a lot of spicy/peppery notes to the beer...so other than a Saison, what styles do you all think would benefit from this yeast?

I was thinking something like a summer ale with citrus...

Try and find out what strain they use. Some of those yeasts can be a ***** to work with.

Also, many, if not, most breweries use a different yeast for bottle conditioning than fermenting.

I never thought of this...looks like I'll have to do some research. I guess I could sample each time I do a "step-up" starter to see if the same characteristics show up.

Also, many, if not, most breweries use a different yeast for bottle conditioning than fermenting.

Why? You really think they keep a second strain just for bottling, and run the risk of cross contamination with their primary yeast. For the most part, I think many breweries filter their beer and then use the primary yeast at bottling.

I bought a pack of Stillwater Artisanal Stateside Saison last night. While the beer itself wasn't particularly impressive, I harvested some yeast from the dregs and plan to build up a pitchable culture from it.

My question, the part I really liked about the beer was the yeast character. It lent a lot of spicy/peppery notes to the beer...so other than a Saison, what styles do you all think would benefit from this yeast?

I was thinking something like a summer ale with citrus...

That yeast may also be good in a Belgian pale ale or you can make a Belgian IPA as some are calling it now

Back