Saison yeast help needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PissyFingers

Reaction score
So im not a fan of 3711, I'm not a fan of to much clove, white pepper and fruit are my favourite traits in a saison strain.
For that I've been using WLP585 Saison Ale III, I've made 7 beers from the 1 vial i got last year, culturing from the starter each time.
Alais im now out of this strain and im hungry for another saison, 585 is only available in July/August, soooo what are my options?

Im not really keen to go 565 as is pain to use and doesn't through much fruit,

So can anyone give me their opinion on these 3 strains please..

WLP566
WLP568
WLP590

Cheers!

Wyeast 3726 is season and seems to be available online a few places. Sounds like a nice balance between 3711 and 3724. I am planning to try some on my next brew

Are there any commercial Saisons that you are a fan of available in bottles or cans in your neck of the woods? Most are unfiltered and contain live yeast in the bottle. If you have access to one you like, you can bottle harvest and build up a starter. I'm getting set to brew up a Saison using bottle-harvested yeast from Great Divide's Colette. I'm kind of a geek about such things, but I think it's pretty cool to acquire yeast direct from commercial brew, as opposed to buying yeast from a lab. Oh, and a great benefit of getting your yeast this way is that it comes with free beer!

Are there any commercial Saisons that you are a fan of available in bottles or cans in your neck of the woods? Most are unfiltered and contain live yeast in the bottle. If you have access to one you like, you can bottle harvest and build up a starter. I'm getting set to brew up a Saison using bottle-harvested yeast from Great Divide's Colette. I'm kind of a geek about such things, but I think it's pretty cool to acquire yeast direct from commercial brew, as opposed to buying yeast from a lab. Oh, and a great benefit of getting your yeast this way is that it comes with free beer!

Hi, yes Modern Times Lomaland is my favourite commercial Saison but here in New Zealand is impossible to get a fresh can of the stuff.

Any of the Belgian saison strains will get you more fruit than the French strains imo. The 568 is probably the fruitiest. I haven't had much luck with the 566. My personal fave is the wyeast 3726 farmhouse, which I think is now in their regular lineup. Super excited, I've made a bunch of great beer with this yeast!

I have used 566 for my last two saisons and I've been very pleased with the results. Very fruity, good attenuation, and no stalling.

Back