Saison Solera

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DC-Brewer

Reaction score
Just got a Sanke keg and wanted to get a solera style project going. I love a good sour but my heartburn can't take too low a pH. After a 22 of terroir this weekend I was up most of the night. Would love a Brett saison that doesn't have quite as much acidity to it.

My favorite saison was made using the bootleg biology yeast. Funk Weapon #1 I believe. Big question for the board is whether or not a saison made without any souring agents (all Sach and Brett) would be a good choice for a "solera". My plan is to keep a sanke full of the beer and take out and replace with five gallons of fresh wort as I empty a serving keg. That would probably be every six months so relatively quick turnover of the "barrel".

Would this work or would I lose a lot of the saison character with aging? I don't put a ton of new fancy hops in my saisons and the above mentioned one was made with a simple malt bill and pilsner hops that I split between it and a pilsner.

I've never heard of a non-sour solera, so this may be challenging territory.

A few thoughts:
  • Not sure how Brett fares for years in a non-sour environment, and if she's subject to autolysis as her Sacch cousins.
  • You definitely need to prevent infections, or it will sour or worse.
  • Definitely keep oxidation at bay, aside from deteriorating flavor, some Brett strains are known for generating Acetic Acid in presence of oxygen.

Back