Saison Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alby44

Reaction score
Greetings HBTers,

Was hoping for some clarification and any insight on the 5 gallon batch Saison I have listed below. I have a read about NS hops and the Sauv Blanc flavor it can impart and was thinking it would go nicely with Sorachi. When plugged into Beersmith, my IBUs (75.6) are way out of profile....plugged the same info into brewer's friend and ibus are still high (58), but not nearly as high.

1. Too many hops additions given the values?? This is my third saison...i kept the other two close to spec, but was thinking these hops would go nicely with a clean saison. Was also considering dry hopping with 1.5 oz of NS, but not sure there either.

2. Seed of Paradise/Coriander - not married to the idea and threw it in. The 3711 gives enough of a peppery finish for my liking, but was curious what other brewers have done with this.

-Ferm plan is to begin around 68, then ramp up from there finishing around 76-78.

Thanks for the review!!

9 lbs 8.0 oz Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 70.4 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 14.8 %
1 lbs Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.4 %

0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 4 21.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - First Wort 90.0 min Hop 5 21.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 16.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Sorachi Ace [12.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 16.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

1.00 g Seeds of Paradise (Boil 10.0 mins) Spice 8 -
0.82 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 mins) Spice 9 -

1 lbs Cane (Beet) Sugar (0.0 SRM) Sugar 12 7.4 %

1.0 pkg French Saison (Wyeast Labs #3711) [50.28 ml] Yeast 11 -

Est Original Gravity: 1.068 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.006 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.2 %
Bitterness: 75.6 IBUs
Est Color: 5.6 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Sparge Water: 5.09 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F

Mash In Add 4.03 gal of water at 165.7 F 148.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Fly sparge with 5.09 gal water at 168.0 F

I think the ginger'sh profile of the seeds of paradise is a great idea. Stay married to it. It can't hurt and it's fun to try things. What is 1g, about 1/4 tsp?

I've read before that the SA actually compliments the fruitiness of the NS, however, having never used NS and only having chewed on the pellets of SA that my LHBS gave me by mistake, I couldn't confirm nor deny that. They seem like they would work well together on paper, even though SA scares the crap out of me. I came up with 69 IBU when I ran it.

Please update when it's done. I just bottled my first saison (1.056/1.002) with pink peppercorns, fresh ginger and sweet orange peel. Can't wait to try it.

Found this btw .. looks like someone else has done it, so you aren't crazy at least, if that's any consolation. -- [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olq_X07TNWs[/ame]

I think the ginger'sh profile of the seeds of paradise is a great idea. Stay married to it. It can't hurt and it's fun to try things. What is 1g, about 1/4 tsp?

I've read before that the SA actually compliments the fruitiness of the NS, however, having never used NS and only having chewed on the pellets of SA that my LHBS gave me by mistake, I couldn't confirm nor deny that. They seem like they would work well together on paper, even though SA scares the crap out of me. I came up with 69 IBU when I ran it.

Please update when it's done. I just bottled my first saison (1.056/1.002) with pink peppercorns, fresh ginger and sweet orange peel. Can't wait to try it.

Found this btw .. looks like someone else has done it, so you aren't crazy at least, if that's any consolation. -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olq_X07TNWs

Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, was thinking 1/4, maybe 1/2, but thinking less is probably better. I've used SA in my last two batches with good results (kegging one this week) and think NS/SA will mesh well together. Watched the video and it seems like it confirms that too....thanks!!

I've done a Sorachi Saison, and a NS Saison. I really don't think I would combine the two.

90 minute additions do nothing for flavor. Use a cheap hop for that. You get the same bitterness at 60, so why 90? The Pils will need a 90 minute boil.

The 30 minute additions are doing nothing. Add all your flavor and aroma hops between 10 and 0 minutes. This will bring down your IBUs, but 30 to 35 IBUs would be reasonable.

I'm not a fan of 3711, but a lot of folks like it, and it is easy to use.

Up the sugar, drop the spices

Mash low, ferment high.

Back