Saison Recipe Critique Wanted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua1987

Reaction score
Saison Recipe Critique Please-

9 # Pils 2 row
1 # Caramunich
1 #White Wheat

.5 oz Strisselspalt 60min
.5 oz Czech Saaz 60 min
5 oz Strisselspalt 30min
1 oz Czech Saaz 15 min

2 tsp black pepper 5 min
8 oz inverted sugar 5 min

Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison

Sach rest 148 degrees, 60 min

**Came up with an OG of 1.058 using Tasty Brew Calculator

Looks pretty good. I would drop the caramunich down to 8oz. Then just check the BU:GU ratio and get it to .48. I am guessing you are pretty close. I like the Strisselspalt hops in a Saison. I use them often.

Thanks, I imagine that if the caramunich is cut to 8 oz then, wouldnt I have to cut the hops to decrease the BU even further? Let me know if i'm confused...right now I'm coming up the .53 BU:GU w/ the recipe as is stated above

You are pretty close. .53 ratio works. You can keep it there if you want. The Strisselspalt hops are pretty smooth . I usually keep the ratio between .44-.54. since you are using only 8oz sugar it should not dry out too much. Sometimes if the brew dries out real low then the bitterness seems to be enhanced.

Thanks so much for the advice.Smoothness is one of the reasons love strisselspalts, really are a nice utility hop.

I'm assuming you meant .5 oz of Strisselspalt at 30 min? For 3724, make sure you pitch enough active yeast and keep it warm for it to ferment in any reasonable time frame. I've had it perform in great time and also had it take 2 months to finish. Either way it produces a great Saison, but I'd rather have it in primary for 3 weeks rather than 9 if given the choice.

I'm assuming you meant .5 oz of Strisselspalt at 30 min? For 3724, make sure you pitch enough active yeast and keep it warm for it to ferment in any reasonable time frame. I've had it perform in great time and also had it take 2 months to finish. Either way it produces a great Saison, but I'd rather have it in primary for 3 weeks rather than 9 if given the choice.

3724 does require some dilligence to get it to finish. Just pay attention to temps and it works great. 3724 does require some heat. I use a cooler with an aquarium heater that lets me get the temp up to the high 80's . I have one sitting there now at 87 degrees. It will start fast but be careful to keep the temp up so it does not slow down. After the first couple of days you almost cannot get it too warm. Keep it warm and check gravity after a few weeks.

Yes, .5 oz @ 30 minutes is what i meant. Thanks for the tip, I've read that the strain lends itself to temperature fluctuations and makes the flavors even more unique, any thoughts? Ive been told by some fairly seasoned brewers that it's a pretty resilient yeast and thrives being exposed to temps up in the high 80s, down to the low 60s and still performs at a respectable attenuation..? I like the idea of multiple temps over a month or so but certainly don't wanna mess up a good thing

Latest posts

Back