Saison Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gone_fishing

Reaction score
Ok, 3rd brew is a Saison extract kit. Brewed on 8/9 at night. From past experiences I used a blow off tube. I was away all weekend so I didn't hear any bubbling from the active fermentation. Checked the bucket yesterday and there was about 1" of stuff on the sides but no other signs of Krausen. Checked SG and the reading was 1.030. OG was 1.058. Today I checked again and it's 1.020. That tells me the yeast did work.

My questions:
Sound like I am ok?

Should I move it so the beer ferments warmer? It's at 73* now. I can put in my garage or attic to warm it up.

Thanks!

What is the yeast? What is the recommended range of that yeast? Saisons are usually brewed on the warm side. There is a Saison yeast that people are suggesting as high as 90 degrees. I am drinking mine now that was about 72-75. It is nice, has a peppery flavor. I have to look at the recipe and see what hops I used and if that is what they added.

Back