saison off flavour from heat mat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkcaldybrewer

Reaction score
I just racked a split batch: 3 fermenters, 3 separate saison yeasts (WLP566, M29 and BE-134). I have two heaters (the flat mat type that goes under the fermenter) + controllers for each. The set-up I settled on was to control the WLP566 batch and M29 batch and then I balanced the BE-134 on top of the M29. (as in picture). I followed the "maltose falcon" protocol (maltosefalcons.com/tech/guide-saisons-and-saison-yeasts), controlling at 16C for 3 days. Then on the two "controlled" fermenters, ramped up over several days to ~1 degree below mfg max recommended temp (24C for 566 and 29C for M29). The uncontrolled BE-134 rose naturally to 22C.

Now, in tasting them all, the controlled ones both have unpleasant sulphur flavour/taste, while the *uncontrolled* one (BE134) smells and tastes delicious! The off-flavour is similar to what I've encountered with lagers, but never had it with a saison!

My theory is that the heat source, which is below the fermenters, cooked the trub leading to the off-flavour.

Does anyone have bad experiences with the direct heat from such a fermenter? Would it be better to have indirect heat (e.g. by putting fermenter in a box along with, but not touching the heat mat?

Any other advice?

Attachments

• IMG_4556.JPG
    IMG_4556.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
I’m gonna hop in on this thread. I just bought a heating mat that goes under the carboy but the information above makes me nervous about using it. I don’t want to overheat the beer and end up with nasty off notes.

Normal duty for the heat mat is adding a little extra to get me from basement 16C to ~18-20C for standard ales. It does this admirably and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend using it for such.

However, heating up to 25-27C for this saison obviously had the potential to pump significantly more heat into the trub.

Next chance I get, I'll re-brew (I top-cropped both M29 and WLP566) but will heat indirectly this time. Will re-use same fermenters etc to try to isolate the heat-mat effect. Will post back the results.

I'll also report back on the off-flavour. I'm still hoping it fades in the keg as it does with lagers...

:tank:

I went with wraps for my heating source. I figured I would get better all around even heat, and wasn't a fan of trying to heat the wort through the trub. I've used mine to get into the low 80s on a saison batch, and have not noticed and off flavors. I'd be interested in hearing how these turn out and if you brew again.

Hi all, time for an update. Well this was more complicated than I though: after a couple of weeks, both unpleasant tasting batches began to taste nice, while the tasty one has developed a strong rotten egg aroma. So I’m thinking now, whatever my issue is, it may not have been the heat pads.

Back