Saison (forgot the simple sugars)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I am 7 days into fermentation and forgot to add the 1# of sugar recommended in my recipe. I forgot to add because the LHBS said use what I have in the cupboard not the expensive stuff sold there. I am not worried, but just would like to know how to address this.

Should I add it late? do I need to boil it first? should I add in secondary?

Thanks for tips.

details on my recipe
OG 1.060
FG 1.008

I got 1.058 without the # of cane sugar

7.7# pilsener LME
1# cane sugar
.75# wheat LME
.5# munich LME

2oz steeping Caramunich

Hallertau 4% 60 min
Hallertau 4% 0 min

1 vile of each WLP565 and WLP568

fermenting at 80 deg, slow ramp up from 68-80 over 3 days. holding steady at 80 now for days 4-7. ready to measure gravity today.

While you're pretty close on the OG, I believe the addition of candy sugar is an essential part of Belgian beers. I don't think it's too late to add now, so you might not be in any trouble, though. In fact I believe there's a number of high gravity beers where fermentables are added in stages so as to not shock the yeast with too much sugar all at once. The only thing I'm not absolutely sure about is the best method to add the sugar. Maybe boiling it with some water, and letting it cool before tossing it in would be the most sanitary way, but you might hold on for one of the members here with a little more experience to throw in their ¢2.

I think your FG will be within style guidelines without the sugar, but if you want to add it, it will help dry the beer out a bit more. ma2brew's suggestion to boil it with some water and then cool before adding is what I've done in the past. I add it through a hose submerged in the beer so I don't get any splashing.

Only problem with boiling sugar is that it starts to form a syrup, and then starts to solidify when cooled. Try pouring thick syrup or fairly solid sugary thing through a tube!

What I would do is to boil per suggestion, then swirl out of much of the excess water, cool for a short time until it starts to solidify or clump-up, then pitch gently into the fermenter. Use a small (1/2 gallon) saucepan.

I plan on doing this soon myself, and make my own candi sugar. See Orfy's post on doing so in one of the stickies.

well I followed the wiki but instead of chilling and letting it harden I simply cooled it down and pitched it into my 80 deg fermenter and crossed my fingers.
I sampled it before I added the candi, 1.016@80degF after 7 days.

I wonder how things will progress next now that I added the home made liquid candi sugar

well I followed the wiki but instead of chilling and letting it harden I simply cooled it down and pitched it into my 80 deg fermenter and crossed my fingers.

I wonder how things will progress next now that I added the home made liquid candi sugar

I'm sure it'll be fine. You should see some renewed activity in the airlock before too long.

Sounds good to me. Let us know how this progresses.

Back