Saison DuPont starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundog14

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, I used the sediment from 3 bottles of Saison DuPont to make a starter.
Basically it was just sitting there, so at 48 hours I gave it a little shake. About 12 hours later (~ 60 hrs. total) it has started to ferment...at least I'm thinking it is. It does not quite look like a typical starter I've made, but it seems to be "close enough"(photo attached). Do you think that I have a viable culture, or some bug? Maybe the proof is in the tasting of the starter?

dupont starter.jpg

you can step up dupont and its been verified that it is their actuakl strain in the bottle. Im guessing if you harvest from that starter and made another one with the healthier yeast at the bottom of that, it would be more normal

you need to constantly agitate your starters to get them to move along

you can, but supposedly the actual harvested stuff is less prone to stalling. Or some people just dont want to order liquid yeast for some reason

I've done about 20 or so Saison style beers using 565 looking at my notes. Never had the stalling out issue but I've heard about it knock on wood. You guys are brave using dregs... I'm not as adventurous I gue$$ :). Good luck!

Thank you for the replies.
M00ps: How do I "step up" the yeast. Is there an article you can point me to on this? Also, how do I separate the sediment to isolate the healthier yeast at the bottom?

Latest posts

Back