Saison DuPont! (Southerners, please read!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodgreener

Reaction score
Hey, I live in what the horticulturalists call "the humid south" or a "subtropical climate". To give you some insight, I am running my air conditioner--it's 81f outside.
I was at a friend's house last night and he bought a bunch of this DuPont beer. I thought it was excellent. And I read that the yeast can ferment at 90f. Has anyone tried this out? Has anyone tried to make an ipa or something with this yeast? (in hot, humid climates).

WLP565 (and similar strains) at 80+ is quite common and desired in-fact to develop the classic saison esters and phenols that create those distinct flavor profiles plus achieve full attenuation.

Now, if that same profile is something you would desire in an IPA is another question entirely....

Yes, I ferment my Saisons at 90F. I use the Dupont yeast. If I don't culture it out of a bottle, then I'll use the Wyeast 3724, which is the Dupont strian.
I'll use a heating pad wrapped around the carboys and on the 1st notch it holds at 90F.

Hey, I live in what the horticulturalists call "the humid south" or a "subtropical climate". To give you some insight, I am running my air conditioner--it's 81f outside.
I was at a friend's house last night and he bought a bunch of this DuPont beer. I thought it was excellent. And I read that the yeast can ferment at 90f. Has anyone tried this out? Has anyone tried to make an ipa or something with this yeast? (in hot, humid climates).

If you are willing to spend a few dollars, you can easily ferment beers in the mid-60s, which is fine for virtually any ale: Building an IceCube Fermentation Chiller - BrewBoard . It certainly works great here in Florida (where I am "lagering" my Koelsch right now around 50 degrees while it is 82 degrees inside my apartment).

Trying to brew an IPA with a Saison yeast at high temps sounds like it would result in a pretty harsh clash of flavors that don't really go together.

If you are willing to spend a few dollars, you can easily ferment beers in the mid-60s, which is fine for virtually any ale: Building an IceCube Fermentation Chiller - BrewBoard . It certainly works great here in Florida (where I am "lagering" my Koelsch right now around 50 degrees while it is 82 degrees inside my apartment).

Trying to brew an IPA with a Saison yeast at high temps sounds like it would result in a pretty harsh clash of flavors that don't really go together.

I'm not so sure this is true. IPAs brewed with belgium yeast are getting kind of trendy at the moment. Stone has released one and there was a recipe in a recent zymergy for a saison brewed with all amarillo hops.

I used WLP568 Saison blend in my REIPA (see sig). It's pretty intensely peppery, but it has been almost a month since I last tasted it. I'm hoping that a little age will mellow it out.

Hm, I need to get that keg in the fridge.

Latest posts

Back