Saison critique, Grain locked in already

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adamb258

Reaction score
Rye Saison

Recipe Overview
Wort Volume Before Boil: 4.78 US gals
Wort Volume After Boil: 3.00 US gals
Expected Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.036 SG
Expected OG: 1.062 SG
Expected FG: 1.005 SG
Apparent Attenuation: 91.4 %
Expected ABV: 7.5 %
Expected ABW: 5.9 %
Expected IBU (using Tinseth): 47.5 IBU
Expected Color (using Morey): 6.0 SRM
BU:GU ratio: 0.77
Mash Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Duration: 60.0 mins
Fermentation Temperature: 65->80 over 1 week

Fermentables
Ingredient Amount % MCU When
German Pilsner Malt 4lb 8oz 68.6 % 2.0 In Mash/Steeped
US Rye Malt 1lb 8oz 22.9 % 1.9 In Mash/Steeped
US Caramel 60L Malt 3.00 oz 2.9 % 3.8 In Mash/Steeped
Sugar - Candi Sugar Pale 6.00 oz 5.7 % 0.1 End Of Boil

Hops
Variety Alpha Amount IBU When
German Tettnang4.0 % 0.50 oz 13.1 60 Min From End
Sorachi Ace 10.7 % 0.25 oz 17.5 60 Min From End
Sorachi Ace 10.7 % 0.25 oz 10.6 20 Min From End
Czech Saaz 3.0 % 0.25 oz 2.4 15 Min From End
Sorachi Ace 10.7 % 0.25 oz 3.8 5 Min From End
Sorachi Ace 10.7 % 0.25 oz 0.0 Dry-Hopped
Czech Saaz 3.0 % 0.25 oz 0.0 Dry-Hopped

Yeast
Wyeast 3711-French Saison - 1L starter underway

Mash schedule:
BIAB - strike 4.78 gallons at 157F, hold mash at 149F for 60 minutes

The grains are ready to go , the hop schedule I built based on two things:
1) I wanted a bit more bitterness than a traditional saison, its fun experimenting :)
2) I am using the hops i have in my freezer. The only other hops I have is simcoe (saving for another IPA) and hallertau.

I am most interested in getting my hop schedule and mash temperature critiqued. One of my favorite saisons is great divides collette, but the style is very varied and i like most.

Hop schedule looks good to me. 3711 attenuates VERY well...I might mash a few degrees higher..152 perhaps. Especially with the sugar addition.

I was very unsure about the mash temperature. I have seen saisons mashed all over the place. I know 3711 has a great reputation and it's why i chose it, I just wasn't sure hows it's super yeasty abilities would effect mash.

Mash low, (high 140s).

3711 will finish low, probably 1.002 if you mash low, but it will not taste like it.

I like to ferment 3711 at the high end, 75 F. Use a water bath to ensure it does not run away from you.

I use a water bath with frozen bottles and a aquarium heater to adjust temperature. I planned to start it mid 60s, let it rise to low 70 on it's own and finish up high 70s using the heater.

I guess I'll just keep my mash around 149 unless I hear a better argument. Either way this baby will be rolling in the morning.

Thanks

Well due to some temperature issues I mashed at 146 for 30 minutes and 151 for 30 minutes. Boil is going strong now, thanks for the assistance

Well, I am not sure what the reason is yet but I only hit a OG of 1.046, quite far off from my target of 1.062 Is there anything I can do at this point to bring it up a bit and nto effect the quality of the finished product? Adding more candi sugar?

I am not sure if it was the crush from the LHBS, or the fact that I only did about a 5 minute mash out (raised from 150 -> 168 and held it there about 5 minutes and tea bagged it). Unfortunately i forgot to get a preboil gravity.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks,
Adam

Adamb258 said:
Well, I am not sure what the reason is yet but I only hit a OG of 1.046, quite far off from my target of 1.062 Is there anything I can do at this point to bring it up a bit and nto effect the quality of the finished product? Adding more candi sugar?

I am not sure if it was the crush from the LHBS, or the fact that I only did about a 5 minute mash out (raised from 150 -> 168 and held it there about 5 minutes and tea bagged it). Unfortunately i forgot to get a preboil gravity.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks,
Adam

Did you do a test to confirm conversion? When I mash at under 149 I usually do a 90 minute mash.

Candi sugar will up your abv, but do nothing in terms of flavor. In fact it may be adverse and thin it out too much, or have a harsh alcohol taste. I would leave it alone and just let it be a session saison.

Let it go. The 3711 will eat it down to near 1.002 or so. That will give you a nice sesssion Saison.

Every time I have used 3711 it always goes lower thanI expect giving mor ABVthan I expect.

Latest posts

Back