SafLager S-23 + W34/70?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrEd

Reaction score
Hey guys, I wanted to brew a lager but messed up my last order and I currently only have one packet of S-23 and another of W34/70. I was wondering whether using both for a 5gal batch would turn out to be an interesting experiment, a horrible idea or anything in between? I can defo split up the batch but the idea of using these 2 yeasts together got to me! What do you think?
Alternatively, could using only a packet of either yeast be fine actually?
In case it helps: 1040-1045 OG, 90% Pilsner 10% Munich, Saaz, fermenting around 50F.

Cheers!!

if you follow the rehydration instructions then one pack is fine, despite the fact many folks will advise two packs. if you choose to combine them both, then typically you get a mix of characteristics of each yeast. so for instance, in this case you lets say you will pick up the increased esters of s23 vs a cleaner 3470 beer, and likely the higher attenuation of the 3470 vs the s23.

if you follow the rehydration instructions then one pack is fine, despite the fact many folks will advise two packs. if you choose to combine them both, then typically you get a mix of characteristics of each yeast. so for instance, in this case you lets say you will pick up the increased esters of s23 vs a cleaner 3470 beer, and likely the higher attenuation of the 3470 vs the s23.
Thanks, makes sense!

Back