Saflager S-189 Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pancoastbrewing

Reaction score
So since my LHBS was out (as they always are) of my standard 34/70 dry yeast, and since I've had horrible results with s-23, I decided to give his s-189 w try. I've heard good things about it.

I did have one question. I started my ferment yesterday evening and today (what I think) is the Krausen has begun to form. I've never seen a Krausen look like this though. It's kind of what I would call "globby", kind of chunky. And now I'm seeing a bit of the white puffiness that I'm used to seeing. Although this looks like cottony puffiness. Just wanted to check in and make sure this isn't an infection? I'm a bit nervous. Just looks odd.

image.jpg

I pitched S-189 this AM. I am starting to see CO2 in the blowoff but I ferment in stainless so I have no idea what it or other fermentations look like.

Well here's what it looks like today. Looks a big strange still, but more like a fermentation. This is about 48 hours after brewing. Cool yeast.

image.jpg

That's what I miss most about not using carboys anymore. I used to sit and watch the magic.

I don't open my fermenter until I rack to a keg to cold crash/lager/condition. I believe this is a main reason I've never had an infection. Those that look and breath into their fermenter are introducing issues IMO. YMMV.

Back