Saffron Strands - What flavour?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snotpoodle

Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in a description of what you feel Saffron strands would add as a flavour to a brew?

I have a Belgian Golden Strong sitting in primary, and for some reason I thought of adding Saffron to the liquour once I moved to secondary.

In homebrewer language, what does Saffron bring to the table?

Thanks! :tank:

Look in the recipe section at the top of the page. There's a Midas touch thread that'll answer your questions,If I remember right...

Thanks again, but I am more interested in what Saffron in isolation brings to beer, not as part of that recipe.

I am trying to identify whether the flavor is desirable in beer, as in beer besides Midas Touch.

The thread I mentioned did say what it tasted like in one of the replies. I don't remember which one. It's a light,mild,savory sort of flavor. Ever had real Spanish rice? It's in there. Similar to Turmeric,which is a cheap sub. But not as strong.

I've had it in Paella and Spanish rice, but I guess a more refined question would be:

Does it taste the same in beer, as it does in food?

I think I might have to do a tiny little side beer and add some to see what it does!

The flavor would be the same,minus,obviously,the other seasonings. Ten strands I believe is what was used in a 5.5G batch. I worked up a recipe for the tomb ale,but haven't got it brewed yet.

IMO saffron tastes like a mild cinnamon but that is like saying frog legs taste like chicken. It is kinda close but not spot on.

Now ask yourself,"Do I desire a mild cinnamon flavor in me recipe?" and that will give you the answer you seek. I think a saffron stout sounds good while a saffron pilsner not so much.

I'd think you would have to use a heck of a lot to get any saffron flavor in a stout.

Make saffron tea and add a little to a few styles and see what you like.

Back