Safeale US-05 for imperial IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daver77

Reaction score
Can Safeale US-05 be used for a beer with a 1.084 OG?

I read that it's Low to Med gravity but what is considered low to med?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to brew this weekend but do not have time for a starter.

Can Safeale US-05 be used for a beer with a 1.084 OG?

I read that it's Low to Med gravity but what is considered low to med?

The reason I'm asking is because I want to brew this weekend but do not have time for a starter.

To be safe, I would go ahead and make a good starter with Saf-05 but use 2 pk. Just put two packs into some sanitized DME that is about 70-F and about 35-60 mins. Should be good-to-go. Low Gravity is usually 1.020 and below, as far as I am concerned. I am not sure there is a firm measurement for what "low-med-high" gravity is.

I am sure US05 would do the trick.

I think US05 is the dry Cal Ale strain. A quick check of the pitching rate calculator at Mrmalty.com shows you should pitch 1.5 x 11gram sachets for a 1.084 gravity beer. I would say pitch 2 x 11 gram packs that have been properly re-hydrated, I would also give that wort some good aeration or oxygenation and I think you'll do fine.

http://www.mrmalty.com

You don't need a starter. Pitch 2 packets and be done with it.

I dunno what the recipe is for your beer, but you might consider adding about 1 pound of sugar (dissolved in boiled water) after a few days. I suspect that your IIPA will get down to around 1.016-ish at the lowest and then peter out, but if you add the sugar it will continue to ferment and dry out a bit more for you.

You don't need a starter. Pitch 2 packets and be done with it.

^^^ This for sure, no starter, I would just rehydrate which is also controversial. Have NO fear of US-05 for a IIPA, hope you like hops and excellent attenuation, because that yeast will chew through fermentables and let hops blast through.

Aw yeah, US-05 is great for IIPAs! And as people have said it'll chomp through sugar. I recently did a barleywine and US-05 took it from 1.100 down to 1.013! Follow instructions on the packet, and no starter.

As others have said, should work great. I'm planning on using US-05 (3 packets rehydrated with lots of O2) on my upcoming RIS, I'm aiming for 1.110 give or take and hope it down to 1.025 or there abouts.

I use it for all my IPAs and IIPAs. Awesome stuff when treated right.

It'll take care of really high gravity brew. And It's very clean.

Another 05 recommend. My IIPA was @ 1.080 and it took it down to 1.012.

Wow, great!

Yeah I was planning on using 2 packets. as per mr. malty.

I do like my hops but I like my Ipas around 50 IBUs when I use this yeast so We'll see This is my first Imperial.:ban:

Just bottled my first all grain recipe, which was an IPA with an OG of 1.068, and I pitched 2 packets of Safale 05 (rehydrated) and it took it to 1.014. Good ****.

I've used it for 1.086 OG KBS clone (RIS) before and it worked great. I didn't bother with a starter, just pitched 2 packets (it's cheap and this saved the effort of a starter)

Mikethepoolguy said:
I have a Pliny the Elder almost done dryhopping. The recycled S-05 I used took it from 80 to 12 points, per the recipe. Tastes great too!

I was gonna brew PtE type brew next week and rack onto my yeast cake from 1.056 OG pale ale (WLP001) when I rack it to the secondary.
was worried about getting good attenuation of the PtE brew. Was planning to start with 1.070, does anybody think this is too low OG by the way?
At 80% MAX attenuation, the WLP isn't going to get it to 1.011.

Think I could toss in a pack of s05 ?

TD

I was gonna brew PtE type brew next week and rack onto my yeast cake from 1.056 OG pale ale (WLP001) when I rack it to the secondary.
was worried about getting good attenuation of the PtE brew. Was planning to start with 1.070, does anybody think this is too low OG by the way?
At 80% MAX attenuation, the WLP isn't going to get it to 1.011.

Think I could toss in a pack of s05 ?

TD

80% is certainly not the max attenuation, I dont think I've ever gotten under 80% with chico. the 001 cake will be fine on its own, plus its the same strain as S-05 anyway. I wouldnt use the whole cake tho since it'll be vastly over-pitching. use mr malty to figure out how much slurry to keep. 1.07 is good for PtE: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny the Elder clone PDF.pdf

dcp27 said:
80% is certainly not the max attenuation, I dont think I've ever gotten under 80% with chico. the 001 cake will be fine on its own, plus its the same strain as S-05 anyway. I wouldnt use the whole cake tho since it'll be vastly over-pitching. use mr malty to figure out how much slurry to keep. 1.07 is good for PtE: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/1Pliny%20the%20Elder%20clone%20PDF.pdf

Thanks for the encouragement. I've never pitched right into a freshly racked yeast/trub cake before. You think over pitching really going to be a problem if I just chilled and sent outflow directly into the fermenter?

TD

in an IPA I dont think over-pitching is as much of an issue since you're not really looking for anything from your yeast. but there are still some potential risks from it:
High pitch rates can lead to:
•Very low ester production
•Very fast fermentations
•Thin or lacking body/mouthfeel
•Autolysis (Yeasty flavors due to lysing of cells)
http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-pitch-rates.cfm
1 cup of slurry should be plenty

echo - 2 packs of US-05 and your good to go...and always use mrmalty yeast calculator to be sure you are pitching enough yeast.

deezy said:
echo - 2 packs of US-05 and your good to go...and always use mrmalty yeast calculator to be sure you are pitching enough yeast.

Thanks again!
Looks like I might have to buy some. Dont think I'm going to get the chance to brew when I wanted to to, and might not have any yeast cake available unless I learn to harvest wash and save. Easier to rip open a couple foil packs!

TD

I have a DIPA in primary now, I pitched 2 packs of 11.5g kind of at a high temp (78*) even though mrmalty suggested 1.5, It went crazy for about 28-30hours and slowed down by day 4. My OG was 1.090 hoping those little yeasties will do their job! I am planning on dry hopping for the first time but not sure on what hops ill use :|

Finally brewed it.

OG 1.067 but forgot to add the corn sugar. Two packs 05 safale. Finished 1.009! Taste is great gonna skip the corn sugar and go with forced carb. 7.6% might be low for a dipa/IIPA but don't think a half percent ABV gonna be a big deal with this monster. Loving the dry yeasties!!

TD

I have done two IIPAs with Safale-05. Both were right in the 1.080 OG range. Just used a single packet each time for a 5 gallon batch. Both fermented down to 1.015.

Devin said:
I have done two IIPAs with Safale-05. Both were right in the 1.080 OG range. Just used a single packet each time for a 5 gallon batch. Both fermented down to 1.015.

Nice. Mine was 11 gal. Hence two packets. Probably could have used 3. Anyway. Will be keeping this in stock for most brews unless I am able I brew more regularly and repitch.

Saving yeast and making starters is not very cost friendly when you account for the DME and time. Two packs of 05 is easy peasy

Trying to get a pacman universal ale yeast thing going on though.

Brewing_Butterball said:
Is this why you missed your target gravity? Forgot to add it to the boil, or are you talking about bottle conditioning?

either way cheers brotha and congrats:mug:

Exactly. I will often add the corn sugar in fermenter to prevent scorching in the boil kettle, usually at high krausen. I'm thinking at 7.6% ABV, it's strong enough, and corn sugar isn't going to do a whole to improve. I just forgot to add it this time to the primary or kettle.
im planning to keg and split into two corny kegs. i could add some "priming" sugar, but to heck with it, im just gonna keg, force carb, and drink without the sugar. really surprised at the 1.009 FG. Grist was 23# 2 row, 2# c-45, and 1# carapils for 11 gallons, or 10 gal finished beer after trub losses I've just started using beersmith, and getting the hang of using it. It includes post boil sugar additions in the OG it seems.
TD

Back