Safeale S-04

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhatsOnTap

Reaction score
Well, last night I pitched an IPA with S-04 and it was bubbling within three hours of pitching dry. Last night it was about every 10 seconds, and this morning it had stopped. I checked for krausen by peeking thru the airlock and there was a light layer of foam on top but mostly I could see liquid. There was evidence of a krausen ring about an inch and a half above the beer. It also smelled like beer when I pressed on the bucket lid. I heard s-04 was fast, but can it really be that fast? I'm going to check the SG tonight but it's hard to believe it went overnight. The fermentation temp was 71 degrees BTW. Any thoughts?

WOT

It could be done. What was the OG and what is the SG now ?

80/-

Okay here's the deal; I gave the fermentor a sharp twist and a little hula-hoop action this morning and went to work. Came back and she was bubblin' like a champ. This has happened 2 other times to me where I have bubbles then they stop. Every time after I swirled or twisted the fermentor that first time, it fermented to the finish. Oh BTW Cheyco, I took your advice and had a couple HB's and relaxed (even though I wasn't stressing about it but hey, seemed like sound advice). :mug:

I have a batch in with 04 and it started fairly quickly as well. I have mine a wee bit colder than you do at 60 deg, so it is still going along nicely but a bit on the slow side. I have used 56 in a bit warmer temps and it goes crazy and then subsides quickly, so at your temp the 04 could be quite close to done at 4 days. MP Wall

I just did a WIT with safbrew t-58. 15 minute rehydrate in 90 degree water then pitched. had bubbles in 2 hours flat - slowed in 2 days. 1.048 OG 6 days later 1.010 pretty good IMO and tasty in the secondary. the last time I used the 04 it was fast as well at around 70 degrees. I'm loving the dry yeasties as of late.

WhatsOnTap said:
Okay here's the deal; I gave the fermentor a sharp twist and a little hula-hoop action this morning and went to work. Came back and she was bubblin' like a champ. This has happened 2 other times to me where I have bubbles then they stop. Every time after I swirled or twisted the fermentor that first time, it fermented to the finish. Oh BTW Cheyco, I took your advice and had a couple HB's and relaxed (even though I wasn't stressing about it but hey, seemed like sound advice). :mug:

Sounds like you could need to aerate more in the future with that yeast. I also sounds to me like your beer should be fine.

Okay wow, the batch is nearly fermented out now, after 2 days of vigorous bubbling after a slow start. My house is 68 F and the fermentation temp showed 72-73 on the fermentor. Is there a chance of esters or off flavors developing in the beer with that ferment temp with S-04?

WOT

Latest posts

Back