Safe to use water heater supply lines?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hightechlofi

Reaction score
I am plumbing my first setup: keggle > march pump > plate chiller > cornie. I was wondering, it is okay to use water heater supply line for the hoses between the keggle > pump and the pump > chiller? I know some types of hoses can cause off flavors/odors, and some are just flat out not okay to use. I tried searching for the answer, but did not find any.

Thanks for your help.

Josh

If you are talking about the flexible copper or stainless hoses ok. If you are thinking about the braided lines with plastic hose inside I would not do it. Those are not meant for boiling temps. If you can afford the cost, silicone is the best way to go for removable hoses, easily cleaned and you can see what is flowing through. Handles temps up to 500F.

Yeah, I was thinking the braided lines. I guess I will need to rethink my plumbing.

They wouldn't be called by that expression. They are burst resistant braidf sheathed supply lines for things like toilets, dishwashers, etc.

You water heater is supplied with cold water from the town or your well pump.

PEX can be used for hot water applications but I don't think it's rated for boiling water. You'd have to check manufacturer's specs and of course get or rent a PEX tool.

Out of curiosity (and ignorance), what is PEX?

What type of line material is the best to use? I am looking for flexible, so that they can be repurposed in different configurations (right now I am brewing with only a BK for extract, eventually going to an all-grain system[hopefully, wife permitting]).

Thanks.

Out of curiosity (and ignorance), what is PEX?

What type of line material is the best to use? I am looking for flexible, so that they can be repurposed in different configurations (right now I am brewing with only a BK for extract, eventually going to an all-grain system[hopefully, wife permitting]).

Thanks.

http://www.pexsupply.com/pex/contro...H_STRING=pex&gclid=CO_4kvqNiqACFd1L5Qod0GpRgg

PEX stands for Cross Linked Polyethylene

Ya need a tool that expands a crimp ferrule and lets it compress back around the PEX tube and the metal connector.

For a few years it was the worst thing in the world to have in your house 'cause of materials sciences issues. It kept coming apart but they got it dialed in pretty tight now. I haven't heard of a failure in several years.

I Just checked, it's only good to 200 F

Back