Safale US-05

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oach

Reaction score
I use Safale US-05 because it is easy to use and allows me to brew easier within my busy schedule. I typically ferment in the 68*F, give or take 2*F, range for this yeast.

In a beer I brewed in early May (and long gone), I used this yeast but fermented at 62*F-63*F for the beer. Much lower than normal. I really liked the beer but have a friend of a friend that wants to brew the beer. He is questioning the fruitiness of the finished beer using Safale US-05. I am pointing to the fermentation temperature and the affect that it may have on the final profile of the yeast/beer.

Since this is the only time I was at this temperature with the yeast, i have nothing to back me up. Thoughts?

Note: this beer did use 12oz of Huell Melon and Mandarian Bavaria: whirlpool, 6 day dry hop and 3 day dry hop.

I did notice this thread, looking for thoughts on flavors from the yeast:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=583852&highlight=safale

Some people say that you get peach flavors or aroma with US-05 at lower temperatures. Personally, I have never gotten it, but I have never gone below 62 with it. I think they are talking about 60 degrees or less.

But I have had beer with Mandarina Bavaria, and it is very fruity! Are you saying a total of 12 ounces of those hops as whirlpool and dry hop additions? That would be the source of the fruitiness, I think.

This is a 5 gallon batch? That's like a $100 beer with all those hops!

US-05 is a very clean fermenting yeast, especially at lower ferment temperatures. Yeast create more fruity esters at higher ferment temperatures not lower temperatures.. I use US-05 in many recipes where I need the yeast to be very clean to allow other flavors through. Im sure the fruitiness is from all the hops and fruit.

US05 can throw some Peach jolly rancher aroma when fermented cold...I have experienced this one time in an IPA. The aroma was overpowering during fermenatation but barely noticable (and not really out of place) in an IPA with a bunch of fruity hops.

I too have gotten the peach flavor fermented cold at about 55 F. Keep it above 60 F and I bet you'll be just fine.

Contrary to popular wisdom, this yeast produces more esters when COLD instead of when warm.

I too have gotten the peach flavor fermented cold at about 55 F. Keep it above 60 F and I bet you'll be just fine.

Contrary to popular wisdom, this yeast produces more esters when COLD instead of when warm.

I've had those peachy esters at BOTH colder and warmer temperatures!

The first time, I fermented at 64 degrees and got weird peach. At 68 degrees, the yeast was pretty clean. At 72, it got peachy again. So in my experience, s05 has a very narrow temperature range that makes it acceptable to me, I'd say 68-70 degrees.

Since it also takes forever to clear for me, and it's not really "clean" to me, I almost never use it anymore. There are far better yeast choices out there. I suppose that a big 'juicy' fruity IPA would be good with S05, and the peach/ester stuff would fit in, but otherwise I'd chose a different yeast in most cases.

Great experience, Yooper, thanks.

I'm 'onna start playing around with K-97 a lot in near future for both ales and lagers to see what it does. It's supposed to be similar to 1007 which I love. It should perform very well in the low 60s but I want to see what it does colder or warmer too.

I'd encourage everyone to play around with different yeasts and find out what you like, instead of feeling like you HAVE TO use this or that. You DON'T have to.

I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that US-05 isn't clean enough. But then, people love Nottingham, and I don't care for it. It's funny what different people smell and taste.

[...]So in my experience, s05 has a very narrow temperature range that makes it acceptable to me, I'd say 68-70 degrees.
[...]

I agree, though I run US-05 a scosche closer to the threshold, at 67°F.

And it's a comparatively slow floccer for sure, but a few days at 34°F drops nearly bright, and another two weeks cold-carbing finishes the job nicely by the time it's ready to tap...

Cheers!

I set my ferm chamber to 66 degrees and have gone as low as 62 without any of these peach flavors. I once counter top fermented US05 in a house that was 72-74 degrees ambient temperature and didn't get any weird off flavors either, its pretty tolerant I think.

I use bottled ice and water in a cooler with a hole for the airlock. I like the US-05 at about 64-66f never had off flavors. I recently got the Mangrove Jack west coast, have yet to use it, but will in the next week. I'll try to remember to update.

Latest posts

Back